New drives only pinning 588KB data

thnz

Question

Whereas older drives created a few months ago will still have a few GBs of pinned data, new drives seem to only have 588KB pinned. This is regardless of drive size, files/folders/data on the drive, and provider.

To reproduce, simply create a new drive with default settings (4K sector size, drive encryption, format NTFS+assign letter, 64KB cluster size). It happens on both Amazon and Dropbox.

I've only just noticed - the oldest effected drive I have is from 13 June, so its been happening since at least .621.

18 answers to this question

This *may* be normal, as it may be getting all of the NTFS metadata.  Though, that does sound like it's too small. 

Could you? 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Log_Collection

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Service_Memory_Dump

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27088

From a bit more testing, I've found that this happens when the drive is created with a 64K cluster size (default). Pinning works as expected when creating a drive with a 4K cluster size - which I assume was the old default as older drives have it set to 4K. I'm going to guess that this has been happening on all drives created with default settings since .618, as thats when the cluster size option was added. I haven't tried any other cluster sizes.

Hopefully it'll be easy enough to reproduce now. Good luck!

haha, didn't even give me a chance to let you know. :)

And yeah, it's fixed in the 635 build, basically an "alignment" issue. 

Posted what was causing it before going to bed last night. When I first opened Firefox this morning I got a popup saying the changelog had been updated - checked it out and found it had been fixed 20mins prior :)

Well, posting the cause definitely helped, so glad that you posted that. 

And what are you using to watch the file? 

(I mean, I cheat, I have a script that goes out and downloads everything automatically for me, so I always have an "offsite backup" of the installers and change log. :) )

From what build to 722?

And the change log, while not super detailed, does include references to ALL changes. 

Well i had lots pinned when installing from 721 to 722. Then after a reboot, woop and the pinned data was gone and now i can only get 420 kb (it simply don't pin the folders and metadata. pinning finishes in 15 sec).