Pool/drive access and timeouts.

zim2323

Question

I'm not quite sure where to start.  I have a weird issue I can't quite pin down.  I'm not even sure it's a Drive Pool issue, but I have many other systems with the same setup and the only difference is Drive Pool.  This is my primary system.  Below are specs:

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Drive Pool 2.2.0651 beta

Cloud Drive 1.0.0.468 beta

Stablebit Scanner 2.5.2.3103 beta

Rampage IV Extreme w/UASP drivers installed

Intel 6-core processor

64gb RAM

StarTech PCIe SATA 3 controller (https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/HDD-Controllers/SATA-Cards/4-Port-PCI-Express-SATA-6Gbps-RAID-Controller-Card~PEXSAT34RH)

SSD 1 = OS (non-pooled)

SSD 2 = GAMES (non-pooled)

SSD 3 = APPS (non-pooled

8 internal SATA 2/3 HD's;4 on-board, 4 on 4x PCIe 2.0 controller; (Drive Pool E:\)

8 external SATA 2/3 HD's; UASP USB3.0 (https://www.startech.com/HDD/Enclosures/8-bay-removable-hard-drive-enclosure~S358BU33ERM); (Drive Pool E:\)

All 16 drives are pooled to a single 18.5TB E drive.  I have nearly the entire drive duplicating, other then a few download and temp folders of about 90GB.  I also have a folder with almost 1TB of VMware Workstation virtual machines that I use for test labs, studying, work, etc.

Now that you have an idea of my system, I'll explain my issue.  The system has no issues doing multiple reads/writes to any of my standalone non-pooled drives.  However, when I start more than 2 read/write jobs on the pool things grind to a hault.  It seems like anytime I do more than 1 or 2 things at a time the system seems to hang.  For example, I can start a VM and do a copy/read job from the E drive, but if I start anything else that accesses the E drive one of them will hang.  After a few minutes one of the running jobs hangs and another picks up where it left off.  While a job is hung the program goes "Not Responding" and will stay that way until it gets  read/write activity again.  I had this problem prior to adding the additional 8 drives and the USB3.0 external drive enclosure.  I also had this issue prior to duplicating.  I ended up duplicating initially thinking I could fix the problem by creating multiple read streams.

Perhaps there is a setting I'm missing, or this is a limitation of the DrivePool storage driver.  Just not sure what else to test, as I've been playing around with this issue troubleshooting for almost 6 months now.  Ultimately I'd like to read/write without stream/job limitations, or at least more than what I'm getting.  I realize the performance implications, but I just don't want a stream/job to go completely dead and show "Not Responding" in the mean time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Chris

1 answer to this question

You've posted this as a ticket, and I've responded there as well. 

Given the hardware that you're using, I wouldn't blame that. All of it is at least decent. 

Though, if you're able to enable logging and reproduce the issue, it may help us to identify what is going on.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection