HGST HUH728080AL5204 SAS 8TB

Mirabis

Got 3 of the He8 HGST SAS drives, but neither show S.M.A.R.T data or temperature :(

cb7a85dad5bf9a71668380e35fe846b8.png1a592eaa7753e41ad543ac8e07a46f1a.png

Tried all Specific Methods as well, nothing shows up.

They are connected by a IBM M5210 Raid Card (unconfigured good) -> Intel RES3TV360 (Expander) -> Supermicro Passive Backplanes BPN-SAS-846A / BPN-SAS-826A.

I can see the temperature in MegaRaid Storage Manager / Speedfan, but not in Scanner :(

• 4 weeks later...

I have the megaraid LSI 9220 8i. It is listed as a SAS connector but accepts Sata drives.

The temp and SMART are not available to stablebit scanner

But the temp and SMART do indeed show up on HDD Sentinel which is shareware.

http://www.hdsentinel.com/

Yup, SAS controllers are compatible with SATA (though, the opposite is not true). 

As for StableBit Scanner, from what I can gather, this is dependant on the firmware and driver version of the card.  Some of them have issues and some don't. 

And by "have issues", I mean that they report the SMART data using one of the methods we blacklist by default.  

You can enable these methods by enable Unsafe Direct IO. 

Click on the Settings button in the toolbar and select Scanner Settings. Enable the Show advanced settings and information option, and hit "OK". You will only need to do this once, from now on, it will always display this option.

Click on Settings, and select the new Advanced Settings and information option. Open the Configuration Properties tab. You will find a list of all the settings here, organized into section.

Find the "Direct IO" section, and check the "Unsafe" option.  Click OK.

Either reboot the system, or run "services.msc", find the StableBit Scanner Service, and restart it. 

After doing this, you should see the SMART data and temperature for the disks.