Parent folder balancing

Ecks669

Question

I am ready to buy but there is just 1 thing that I need and im not sure if it can be accomplished.

Basically I have Movies and TV Shows folders on various drives, then underneath those folders are subfolders for each movie or tv show. I need to be able to keep those subfolders together and not spread out across multiple drives. So if im adding an episode to the tv shows folder and the parent folder(name of the tv show) doesnt exist then it should copy that file to the hard drive with the most free space. If however that parent folder already exists then it should be added to that folder regardless of space. Same with the movies folder or any folder I designate.

So it would be 2 file balancing rules in order of priority.

- subfolder under the designated folder exists then copy it to that hdd

- otherwise create the folder and copy the file to the hdd with the most free space

1 answer to this question

I'm very sorry for the long delay in responding.

It sounds like you may want to use the "Ordered File Placement" balancer plugin, as this should help keep maintain this behavior:

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

Alternative is the "File Placement Rules", which could be set up to do this manually. 

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=File%20Placement

And you can do both, but mind the balancing settings for the file placement rules (on the main balancing settings page).

However, there isn't a way to do exactly what you want.  New files are placed on the disk with the most available free space, normally.  The Ordered File Placement balancer plugin changes this behavior, and the File placement rules limit where the files can be placed. 

Aside from that, there isn't a way to do what you want built in. 

And if you don't mind me asking, is there a specific reason that you want the files handled this way?