Moving the Cache?

WHS_Owner

Question

Hi, 

Been loving Clouddrive and Google Drive, but ran into a small issue with the cache.

I have the cache set to a drive (not being used by Drivepool) that had about 100gb space on it, but every time I would set a lot of data (more than 100gb) to upload to Google drive, it would freeze (or at least stop me Remote Desking into) my WHS.

Anyway, I have a spare 500gb drive now that I am happy to use as the cache, but after a lot of searching and googling I can't find how to move my cache from one drive to another.

Thanks for the help

:-)

10 answers to this question

Ok thanks will try that once it finishes uploading.

I'm also getting a lot of "thread aborted" errors which is stopping the uploads. I am on version .463 and it looks like I may have to upgrade to stop this error.

Question - if I do upgrade to the newest beta .600 will I have to recreate and reuplaod all of my files...as this has taken weeks so far!

However if the drive was made in .463 i believe that there is some features which wont work such as increasing minimal download size. This is due to the drive being made on a version before this feature, which required some changes to the chunks, became available.

So if you want to utilize that, you would have to make a new drive and reupload.

But just from upgrading, you may get a lot of speed improvements anyway which might be enough for you, depending on the bandwidth you have available :)

I have 15 ish up so not terrible not amazing so would be happy to just have it work consistently and not start all over again!

I've upgraded now and the drive looks ok, still seem to be getting the same "thread was aborted, 42 times" error. Will see if it settles down this evening.

I have 15 ish up so not terrible not amazing so would be happy to just have it work consistently and not start all over again!

I've upgraded now and the drive looks ok, still seem to be getting the same "thread was aborted, 42 times" error. Will see if it settles down this evening.

The error is not critical, it will just retry the tread afterwards. So you are not losing data :)

The error is not critical, it will just retry the tread afterwards. So you are not losing data :)

yeah I thought so, it just seemed to stop the uploading whenever that happened. Last week it was uploading pretty quick but this week it is just getting stuck or stopping over and over. Not sue what to check as my internet is ok and unlimited.

Are they all stopping with close to the same 'Duration'? There is a timeout (it used to be 100 secs, not sure what it is now) where the Chunk will abort and retry if it is not fully uploaded in that amount of time. So if you have 20 threads for example, and your upload speed is not fast enough to upload all 20 chunks within the timeout window, you will see a lot of this.

Are they all stopping with close to the same 'Duration'? There is a timeout (it used to be 100 secs, not sure what it is now) where the Chunk will abort and retry if it is not fully uploaded in that amount of time. So if you have 20 threads for example, and your upload speed is not fast enough to upload all 20 chunks within the timeout window, you will see a lot of this.

Since my last post it's been uploading ok, apart from stopping every now and then "pinning data"? As for threads, I've not changed the i/o settings at all, so its still be on the default of 2.

One of the advantages of the newer versions is that you should have a bandwidth throttling setting in the IO performance, that is configurable per disk. that way, it's not saturating your upload connection. 

Specifically, the data is not cleared from the cache until the upload succeeds.  And if you have upload verification enabled, it will download the chunk, and check it (that it exists and that it matches the checksum), and only then it will release the chunk from the cache.