Subpools or Drive Groups Within a Pool

Guynamedbilly

Question

Hello again.  I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to subdivide drives within a single pool so that I can prioritize which ones duplicate data first. 

My scenario is this.  I've got two external USB3 JBOD drive carriages that hold 4 disks each.  If I just add all of the disks to a Drivepool, the data is spread across each of the drives fairly evenly no matter which carriage they are in.  I'd like to have the duplicated data be written to each seperate carriage whenever there is enough available space to do so.  This would provide better performance since they are not all going through the same USB interface, and also better security since if one carriage was damaged then the other would have a better chance to survive.

I know that you can limit which individual drives receive duplicated data,  is there any way to do that for groups of drives?

On 12/22/2018 at 11:47 AM, eagleknight said:

Checking to make sure I understand this...

Say I have 5 disk pooled as P: and have duplication turned on for this pool. Then I create a new pool from P:. Would this new pool also be protected with duplication?

You mean if you added the P:\ (pool) drive to another pool?  

Then anything placed on that drive would be duplicated, but just because it's in the top level pool doesn't mean  that it's duplicated.  Eg, each pool handles duplication independently of each other. 

On 12/28/2018 at 12:32 AM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

You mean if you added the P:\ (pool) drive to another pool?  

Then anything placed on that drive would be duplicated, but just because it's in the top level pool doesn't mean  that it's duplicated.  Eg, each pool handles duplication independently of each other. 

Does it mean that now I can do following thing:

I have 5 hdd in a pool with different duplication for different folders (no dup,2x and 3x). Can I make an upper level pool with:

1 ssd (or 1 ramdrive) + my pool. To use ONLY one ssd(ram) drive for write cache purposes?

Are you supposed to be able to manage individual folder duplication of the child pools from the parent pool?  Because mine is grayed out for some reason and never populates the list of folders.  

Which balancers do you recommend for the parent pool?  I've turned them all off except Drive Usage Limiter and Duplicate Space Optimizer.

On 1/4/2020 at 4:37 AM, abudfv2008 said:

Does it mean that now I can do following thing:

I have 5 hdd in a pool with different duplication for different folders (no dup,2x and 3x). Can I make an upper level pool with:

1 ssd (or 1 ramdrive) + my pool. To use ONLY one ssd(ram) drive for write cache purposes?

Yes.  You'll want the SSD Optimizer balancer installed and enabled, though. 

Also, keep in mind that this is only for new data, not existing files.  Existing files will be modified on the drives they exist on. 

6 hours ago, Guynamedbilly said:

Are you supposed to be able to manage individual folder duplication of the child pools from the parent pool?  Because mine is grayed out for some reason and never populates the list of folders.  

Which balancers do you recommend for the parent pool?  I've turned them all off except Drive Usage Limiter and Duplicate Space Optimizer.

No.  However, if you add the pool to another pool, you will need to seed the top level pool, as well: 
https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

I'm trying to figure out the best way to split my existing pool into subpools for two purposes.

I recently bought a drive that is much bigger than all my existing ones by more than double, which of course means I can't use all that space for duplication.  It occurred to me that I could deal with this by creating pools of a few drives at a time that are about the same size and then use those pools in my primary pool.  That way each subpool could be used for duplication. 

I also saw a suggestion from someone that this was a good way to deal with end of life drives by creating a pool of old drives to be used for ONLY duplicated data. If the EOL drives are mixed into the overall pool, there's a risk that all copies of a file could end up on EOL drives.  By putting them all in one subpool and using duplication only ACROSS subpools, this risk is eliminated

My question is how do I move existing drives in my one very large pool -  into separate pools to do this.  Is there a way to do it without having to remove all existing content, remove from the existing pool and then recreate them?  This will take a LONG time and will be a bit of a puzzle in order to move things around in the right order.  I have about 40TB of data right now so it's not a trivial amount of data to move around.