Cache clearing itself

thnz

Question

Is there any circumstance where the cache would be expected to clear itself? I've seen it happen a few times over the past few weeks. For instance, last night there was 80GB cached out of a max of 100GB, whereas this morning the cache was only 10.4GB full out of 100GB.

Theres plenty of free space (~700GB) on the cache disk. Cache type is expandable.

8 answers to this question

It wasn't uploading yesterday evening when it was 80/100GB cache, no. About 2am backups would have been done, and it looks like 25GB was copied to the cloud disk, so at 2am I guess it would have been 80/100GB cache + 25GB to upload. By 9am this morning everything was uploaded and it was at 10/100GB cache.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but ...

If the data was not "upload cache", then it may have been prefetched data. If it was, it may have been "released" later on and cleared from the cache.

What version are you using specifically? 

I've flagged this for Alex, so I/we can get a clear answer. 

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/26052

I had updated to the latest beta build - 1.0.0.599 - yesterday, so it was running that version when it happened overnight. I'm sure I've seen it happen before recently though in an earlier build too - IIRC the other time it happened it had about 20/50GB cached, then I saw a while later that it was down to 0/50GB and was 'pinning data' again.

On an unrelated note, I've noticed that only drives that are mounted, either in a folder or with a drive letter, are available for selection as a cache drive when attaching.

So this morning, cache was at 33/33GB. I then resized the cache to 30GB. Instead of trimming 3GB, it went and cleared everything, and is now re-pinning data. Not sure if this behavior is related to the cache clearing itself when unattended, but it certainly wasn't expected, and don't think is intended behavior. It's definitely not very efficient!

Would reproducing it (cache clearing on cache resize) with drive tracing enabled help at all, or is that not something that the drive tracing would see? I can't say if its the same issue as when the cache was cleared all by itself, but I guess it could conceivably be related if something is going wrong with trimming.

You'd need to disable the logging pretty much right after  this happens. 

Specifically, the logging is limited to a rather small set of data, and it purges older data to make room for the new data, so we don't fill the disk (considering this is a VERY detailed log, we could very easily fill up a 2TB disk, giving the chance and enough activity). 

But if you're able to cache it doing this, then yes, those logs would be immensely helpful.