What CPU you use on your server?

steffenmand

Question

I'm currently using an i7 Quad skylake cpu in my server, but Cloud Drive is like sucking 100% with less than 10 download threads, so i'm guessing my speed is severely limited due to the need of power.

Anyone got a nice CPU which seems to handle everything nicely?

Also hoping that they could find aways to optimize performance later on, as this really is hard on the CPU, but i guess it is due to the encryption on the drive.

Perfect scenario would be to be able to utilize all 20 threads.

Hopefully you other guys can give some tips on better systems :)

Usage:

20 mb chunks

20 mb minimal download

primarily large files 20gb -> 400 gb

Encrypted drive

Due to the huge file sizes i would to get all the speed i can get :)

10 answers to this question

im using the encryption yea, so i imagine that requires some power.

It is CloudDrive.Service.exe which goes crazy.

Currently im copying a file from an old drive and disabled prefetching, which means it only does one read thread at a time. That gives me around 60% avg. cpu use with CloudDrive.Service.exe.

If i enable prefetching it is pretty much 100% all the time

windows 10 x64

google drive

encrypted drive with passfrase

20 mb chunks

20 mb minimal download

32 gb ddr4

i7 skylake quad (i7-6700)

with 2 x 500gb ssd

pretty much no other services running on the server as clouddrive is pretty much the only thing installed 

I run a Q6600 at stock clock with 3GB DDR2 and while usage goes up copying to/from/balancing etc it copes well with it.

No encryption or cloud connection (even so a 100mb/2.4mb connection would help there anyway) or SSD cache drives - I do have a partition of 1 SSD included in the pool.

Just as a comparison, anyway.

Some 5 year old 8 core AMD. Never seen CloudDrive use more than 1-2% while actively uploading/downloading. 20mbps upload, 300mbps download, maxing out either doesn't matter.

Just to note I AM using encryption as well. Just not pushing/pulling quite as many chunks as you are I guess.

I just think it is because my chunks finish so fast. They finish in like 0.2 sec but the http delay is 1-5 seconds :-)

So I'm hoping for 100mb or maybe even 200mb chunks as I previously were able to download 100mb chunks in 1-2 seconds with way better performance :-)

2-4 seconds would be decent for a chunk as well so even hoping for the 200 mb chunks - speeds will grow to even faster later on anyway :-)

For the encryption...

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1269-full-drive-encryption/

We do use Microsoft's CGN encryption API.  So this depends on how that is implemented and handled.

Additionally, IIRC, different CPU models have CPU accelerated encryption modules (Intel AES-NI, for instance), and the Microsoft API may be leveraging this CPU feature.  If so, then certain CPUs will have a distinct advantage over others, in regards to performance.  (but your CPU is very nice, and definitely has these features). 

However, could you grab a memory dump of the CloudDrive.Service.exe process when this is happening and upload it? 

It may help us to identify what is happening and optimize the code in this regards. 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Service_Memory_Dump

Additionally, logging may help out here:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Log_Collection