Poor Upload Speed Performance

UClaudius

Question

In theory, this program is exactly what I'm looking for but I'm getting very poor upload speeds. I'm attempting to use ACD and Google Drive, both with encryption, I didn't change any of the cache, or chunk settings from the default. I did change the I/O threads from 2 to 10 in the CloudDrive.Service.exe.default.config file but in practice it still seems limited to 2 threads. (and the CloudDrive.Service.exe.config file doesn't have any I/O options - do I need to manually add them?)

I'm getting 8-10 Mb/s up 8-16Mb/s down for both providers. I'm on a 1Gb/s up and down speeds. the drive cache is on an SSD and I have a high-end CPU. Using the Amazon Cloud Sync Program I get 200-600Mb/s upload. Windows 10 x64 and the latest version of CloudDrive available on the downloads page.

Are these expected speeds or are there best practices to increase them?

9 answers to this question

It is a bit unbelievable but I was able to narrow it down that it is Google Fiber/the router they provide or rather that the issue is on their end. So after talking to numerous representatives yesterday they are not intentionally throttling/capping in any way and they are looking into the issue. (When I connect to my VPN the speeds actually go up as its no longer throttled so that's my work-around for now)

In theory, this program is exactly what I'm looking for but I'm getting very poor upload speeds. I'm attempting to use ACD and Google Drive, both with encryption, I didn't change any of the cache, or chunk settings from the default. I did change the I/O threads from 2 to 10 in the CloudDrive.Service.exe.default.config file but in practice it still seems limited to 2 threads. (and the CloudDrive.Service.exe.config file doesn't have any I/O options - do I need to manually add them?)

I'm getting 8-10 Mb/s up 8-16Mb/s down for both providers. I'm on a 1Gb/s up and down speeds. the drive cache is on an SSD and I have a high-end CPU. Using the Amazon Cloud Sync Program I get 200-600Mb/s upload. Windows 10 x64 and the latest version of CloudDrive available on the downloads page.

Are these expected speeds or are there best practices to increase them?

You shouldn't mess with the config file for StableBit CloudDrive. It doesn't do what you think it does:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Advanced_Settings

To change the settings, check the Drive Options -> Performance -> IO Performance. 

Also, increasing the number of upload/download threads for Google Drive may help.  And when creating the drive, try increasing the partial unit size. 

This may help. 

I think I actually found the answer. Google Fiber throttles upload speeds to any google services. I tried the google drive client and even uploading to youtube and they limit to 10 mb/s. So that' the issue - and I'm pissed.

That's ... wow.  Do they have a business version? If so, that may "fix" the issue.....  If not, .... that is really, really disappointing. 

But also, increasing the number of threads (as listed above) may help. But I suspect that it may not. 

That seems ridiculous…

It is. Completely. 

i think  they are mostly foreigners myself included. In  scandinavia it is easy to get fast speeds

From what I understand, in most of europe, it's much easier to get good internet. But yes, especially in scandinavia. 

Don't I remember multiple other people here in these forums talking about getting 900-1000mbps with Google Fiber and Cloud Drive?

From the sounds of it, it's just with Google services.  So if you used S3, Azure, etc, you may get much better speeds.