Help me understand what just happened with Drivepool, not a problem

Tatts4Life

Question

So I've been using the beta version and love it so I purchased an activation along with an activation of scanner just to keep track of my drives since i have one that is 6 years old. Before using scanner my files were spread through out all three drives I have in my drivepool, 2 5TB drives and one 2TB drive. Well I've been running the scanner and it just finished scanning my 2TB drive and it found one bad block. Well I wasn't too concerned since the drive is old. Well just now I noticed that in the drive pool menu it shows that my 2TB drive is now empty. I checked the other drives and the data has been moved to those drives so nothing is missing as far as I can tell. What I'm wondering is when Stablebit Scanner finds a bad block does it then tell Drivepool to move the data off of that drive and onto the healthy drives?

2 answers to this question

Okay so looking through Drivepools settings I found an option that was seleted to remove data from a drive with a bad sector. Should I really be worried about a drive that only has one bad sector and have the data moved? Again this is a 6 year old drive.

It would be nice to tell drive pool not to worry until a certain number of blocks are bad.

Well, the bad block means that the software had issues reading a sector. That shouldn't happen, period.  It is a serious issue. 

You may be able to fix the issue by running "chkdsk x: /b" (where "x:" is the disk in question), and this may remap (or "reallocate") the sector, but this extra load on the disk can cause issues. 

And StableBit DrivePool evacuates the contents, because generally, this can indicate disk failure, or in some cases, more bad sectors can show up. So what you were seeing was completely normal in your case. 

At best, I'd only place duplicated files on this disk. But honestly, I would replace that drive and stop using it.