setting up drivepool on my gaming rig

Ryo

Question

i tryed setting drivepool 30day trial up on my gaming rig activated the 30day trial... renamed pc to the proper name and rebooted... now Drivepool is insisting on a licence transfer from my server... why is this? please help... i wanna run the 30day eval and buy the licence in next few weeks.. is this allowed?

9 answers to this question

We do use the system name in the activation info (this is mostly for IDing the system).  The "Transfer Wizard" runs when this or any hardware info changes and updates it on our end.  

This applies to both retail and trial licenses.  So running through the "transfer" process just updates the system information. 

Once you've completed it, it should go back to working properly. 

thank you that fixed it... 2nd question is can i use a ssd in the pool for games to play off of when being played and then move back to spinner when not being played? hope i asked the ? correctly....

Automatically? No, not really. 

However, I do have a setup like this. Specifically, I have two SSDs, and a single HDD. 

One SSD for the system (it's an M.2) and a 2.5" SSD, and only the 2.5" SSD is part of the pool.

I use the "Drive Usage Limiter" to only allow duplicated data on the SSD, and then enable duplication for the games that I want on the SSD.  

This isn't automated, but it keeps the contents on the SSD and stored on the HDD.  And once you no longer want to play them, you can disable duplication and they'll be removed from the SSD.

WmwRD1p.png

u think the wd red 3TB 64mb cache drives are fast enough for gaming at 5400 rpm?

The max sequential speed is ~150MB/s, so yeah, I do. 

You may want to format the drive with a larger allocation unit size to help reduce fragmentation, but it should definitely be fast enough for running games from. 

im using a single crucial mx200 250GB in my pool o my gaming pc and transfer speeds are at top of my wifi cards speed limit... cant wait to run gigabit to my gaming pc... how bad will the ssd get thrashed as a cache drive? just curious...

im using a single crucial mx200 250GB in my pool o my gaming pc and transfer speeds are at top of my wifi cards speed limit... cant wait to run gigabit to my gaming pc... how bad will the ssd get thrashed as a cache drive? just curious...

That heavily depends on your usage.  So I really can't say. 

Files are written, and then moved off of it based on the balancing settings. 

And the SSD does maintain TRIM support. 

For me, my SSDs have gotten pretty thrashed, as I'm downloading data every day, basically (TV Shows, etc). 

But basically, the more you use your pool, the worse it will be. You'll want to use good quality drives (and the MX200's are good quality, IIRC). 

If you plan on really thrashing the drives, and have the money to spare, get SLC SSDs. These are generally much more expensive, but should last a lot longer than MLC (typical) SSDs.