Increasing Drivepool capacity with larger hard drives

01cooperl

Hi,

I have tried to search the forums and google for a similar topic but cannot...

I have a 2x duplication of all files on two 1TB desktop hard drives on Drivepool. It has been working great and one hard drive actually failed on me and everything worked as it should and I replaced the drive.

The pool is now full and I want to make this pool larger. Rather than swapping out the old drives for two larger 2TB drives, I want to try and reuse the existing 1TB drives. I want to have a single pool with 2x duplication with both the two 1TB drives and two new 2TB drives (total capacity of 6TB, with a drivepool capacity of 3GB due to duplication).

Is this possible? Am I going to see issues with this as they are different sizes, or as there are equivalent sized drive pairs will this be ok?

Thanks

Well, first I'm sorry to hear about the drive failing, as that is never a pleasant experience. 

As for the different sized disks, that's not a problem at all.  StableBit DrivePool doesn't "clone" the drives, but it just makes sure that the duplicated files are on two different disks. But that could be completely different disks for two different files. 

For instance, "file 1.bin" could be on disk 1 and 2, while "file 2.bin" could be on disk 3 and 4, and "file 3.bin" could be on disk 2 and 3". 

And by default, StableBit DrivePool places files on the disks with the most free space. So it will try filling the 2TB drives first. And once they're ~1TB free, it will try to use all of the disks.