Server Essentials 2012 R2 compatibility

sanvara

Question

7 answers to this question

Scanner is definitely compatible. The underlying API that it uses has not changed. You can use either the "Windows 7" or the "Windows Home Server 2011" version. The difference is that the WHS2011 version will deploy over the network and will have a dashboard tab.

As for DrivePool, that should be compatible. I know it's been extensively tested with the Preview version, and has no issues with it. And it should work fine with the RTM version.

I've been running DrivePool and Scanner on my WSE2012 R2 box for only 10 days so far, but I have to say that I am impressed.

I'm getting circa 80MB/s speeds for copying files across my GB network from AND to the server; and to be clear, it doesn't just start fast and then drop off (as per my WHSv1 box) but stays consistent through to the end.

As for WSE2012 R2 compatibility... most definitely so.

Glad to hear it. Performance is one of those things that we definitely take seriously and is a big thing for our products.  :)

But WantStuff, have you disabled SMB Signing on your 2012 R2 Essentials Box? If not, you may want to do so. It may get you a bit more speed. :)

Namely, SMB signing prevents "man in the middle" attacks. But if this is at home, a MITM attack means you're already screwed... And it adds additional overhead to each and every packet sent, slowing down network traffic. 

It's entirely up to you whether you want to do this or not, but I do personally. But I also am going to be spending the money on ESET File Security soon (NOD32 doesn't install on Server SKUs, and Endpoint Protection is $$$$, while file security is like $45/year, give or take).

http://mctexpert.blogspot.com/2011/02/disable-smb-signing.html

And yeah, WHSv1 had some serious performance issues. I have a huge long thread at We Got Served about it, and a list of possible fixes... It was that bad.

Hi Drashna,

Yes, I read about the SMB settings but when I tried them it didn't appear to make any difference, so I set them back to Not Defined. But thank you for sharing the suggestion.

And yes I remember you from the WGS forums, in particular for the 'Media Stuttering' work around which remained in action right up until the server died. So a big thanks for that too.

Okay, that may not always make a difference. But that said Media Stuttering thread still applies to WHS2011 an Server 2012 (and R2). So feel free to check out that link too.

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/8335-before-you-post-media-stuttering-playback-issues-performance-irregularities/

And I'm glad that it helped you. That was ... an interesting journey creating that thread.

Though, if you're using 2012 R2, it is possible that it may be a driver issue. It's a new OS, and there have been some significant changes, so OEMs many need to release updates.