Why does Scanner - not scan - during the times I ask it to?

Sonicmojo

Question

Heading past 10 days on the new home server with 4x4 Seagate NAS drives - Scanner and Drivepool working fine - except - Scanner is simply not doing anything within the parameters I have specified - that being "Scan form 10:30pm to 5:30am".

Every time I check my drives - I see that Scanner has not done anything - outside of a tiny bit of work when I first set it up.

Clearly I have not "activated" something or maybe I am expecting things to be automatic "on" as soon as I set my time window for scanning?

Can someone give me a primer on how to ensure Scanner is actually scanning when I want it to and not scanning when the system is in general use?

Sonic.

1 answer to this question

Well, with the 4TB drives, that would roughly take 16 hours to scan a single drive.

And that's assuming that:

1. you're not using background IO for the scans (this is enabled by default on most of hte profiles, to help prevent performance issues
  2. that there isn't activity on the disk during the scan window
  3. that there isn't activity on the same controller during the scan window.
  4. That it's not switching to other drives due to above activity or because of heat

Another thing is that, if you'[re going by percent, .... the percent is the amount remaining to be scanned.  If it's at about the same percent each night, then it's still getting a lot scanned. 

And you can verify what has been scanned by opening the "disk scanning panel", where it shows the sector map of the disk.

http://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Disk%20Scanning%20Panel

You can open this view by clicking on the "+" on the left side of the disk, or by double clicking on the disk. 

Chances are that it has scanned a chunk of the drive already. 

You can change the throttling options to be more aggressive about scanning, if you would like: 

http://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Throttling

Additionally, StableBit Scanner only scans a single disk per controller by default. That means if all of these disks are on the same controller, it will scan them sequentially, taking about a week to complete all of them. 

This behavior can be changed too. Uncheck the "do not interfere with other disks on the same controller" option, to start with.

Then, do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

Find the "ScanMaximumConcurrent" setting, and set this to 4, 8, etc (or 0 for "unlimited"). 

This should scan all of the disks in parallel and may speed up the scanning process.