Feature request - Manually cache file

Yuri Alexandrov

Question

Hi!

First of all, sorry for poor English :)

I want to ask a feature - ability to manually cache file (locally). 

Let me explain by usage example.  I use CloudDrive to keep some rare used data in Amazon cloud, for example, video files.  And when I try to play them (stream) from cloud - even at 720p they can't play, don't enough speed (but I have 50Mbps internet).  So, it will be very useful if can select a file (or right-click in Explorer) and send a command "cache full file locally" - so it will be in cache and I can stream it without problems. We can setup time for such caching (for example N-hours, after this period file purged from cache) and other options (if local cache smaller than file - I can allow it to grow temporary).

12 answers to this question

The issue might actually be with Amazon and there API, I know they have been having issues with Amazon and it working correctly on the Cloud drive. You might want to test it with another provider first and see if it streams better.

Check the thread below to read up on some of the issues with Amazon Cloud

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/forum/18-providers/

This is a provider related issue, though it may be related to the software as well.  Have you tried messing with the prefetching settings? 

For reference, Alex (the Developer) uses uncompressed (raw) bluray rips (of Star Trek, if it matters) to test the prefetching performance. And he has ~50mbps down, as well.  

As for testing with OneDrive, you're going to see worse results with that, actually. 

If you do want to use Amazon Cloud Drive here, I would recommend using the internal beta, as it seems to improve or fix the issues with the Amazon Cloud Drive provider. 

64-bit: http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.0.0.579_x64_BETA.exe

32-bit: http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.0.0.579_x86_BETA.exe

Just tested 579 build - much better!  Look all 2 hours 720p rip with ~5 small video drops. 

1080p rip can't play - video drops constantly.

CloudDrive UI shows 12-17 mbps download speed. (about 15 mostly). Performance settings attached.

But I still think what such feature (fully cache file by command) can be useful :-)

post-2006-0-47370500-1461710988_thumb.png

@Yuri,  it may be that the distance is a factor here.

As for the prefetching: 

The trigger is how much data needs to be read before it triggers the prefetching.  A high value means that it's not as likely to happen, but it also means that it's not as aggressive about prefetching (which may be good, as well).

The Forward is how much data to read ahead (how far forward to read). 

And the timeout is how long to keep the data.  The larger the forward is, the higher you want to set the timeout, in general. 

However, if you're still having issues with the prefetching and performance, this may be related to Amazon Cloud Drive itself, and there may not be a whole lot we can do at the moment. And in this case, increasing the cache size may be helpful, so that more data is kept locally. 

Would drive chunk size have an impact on pre-fetching? I've noticed ACD drives have been faster since the increase to 10mb chunks (was 1mb prior), though there may have been other optimizations in play too. It would make sense - the potential to download more than 1mb in a single request - especially with a 4 thread limit.

Would drive chunk size have an impact on pre-fetching? I've noticed ACD drives have been faster since the increase to 10mb chunks (was 1mb prior), though there may have been other optimizations in play too. It would make sense - the potential to download more than 1mb in a single request - especially with a 4 thread limit.

Absolutely.  Prefetching is just pre-emptive/predictive downloading.  The larger threads will take a bit longer to download, but it may be faster overall. 

More threads would help too, but for now it's very limited in Amazon Cloud Drive, because of issues with Amazon. 

For reference, Alex (the Developer) uses uncompressed (raw) bluray rips (of Star Trek, if it matters) to test the prefetching performance. And he has ~50mbps down, as well.  

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but this is exactly what I'm trying to do.  It always seemed to work well with lower quality files but not so well with raw bluray.  Since creating a new drive with Amazon api keys I can successfully stream after I let it buffer a bit.  The performance in Kodi is good enough that I purchased the software, however I'm wondering if you could ask Alex what settings he has found to work best.  I already deleted the drive I was testing with, so I'm not sure what my exact settings were, but it was something close to these:

Provider: Amazon Cloud Drive (with api keys)

Drive Size: 100TB

Chunk Size: 100MB

Pinning: Directories and Metadata

Cache size: 45GB (expandable)

Download Threads: 5

Upload Threads: 2

Upload Throttling: 11776 Kbps

Prefetching: Enabled

Trigger: 1 MB

Forward: 5 GB

Window: 3000

I think the biggest problem is the amount of time it takes to start playing, which I assume could be decreased by decreasing chunk size but that would probably sacrifice download speed as well as potentially leading to problems creating download threads (denied by Amazon or something).  My provider is Comcast and I'm usually between 100-140 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up.  My testing was performed when there was nothing to be uploaded on the test drive.

I also wanted to say thanks for the bundle package.  The value for the money is amazing and I love all 3 products!  It would have taken me quite awhile before I could have scraped together the cash to get all 3 separately (if ever) and they all compliment each other so well!

I have plenty of space and I figured that if for whatever reason my available bandwidth drastically fluctuates then I'll have enough data prefetched that I won't have an interruption in playback.  As far as the timeout I have it set high in case I need to pause the movie and take the dog out, or take a phone call or something.