WHS 2011 to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials

tomm1313

Question

My main drive on my WHS2011 died and now im in the middle of trying to decide what to do. 

If i went to windows server 2012 R2 Essentials and hooked up the drives after the install would it recover the drives?

or am i better off just reinstalling whs2011

7 answers to this question

First, I am very sorry to hear about your drive failing, as that is never a pleasant experience! :(

If i went to windows server 2012 R2 Essentials and hooked up the drives after the install would it recover the drives?

Yes. Once the drives were attached, and StableBit DrivePool is installed, it will detect the pooled disks and attempt to recreate the pool automatically.   There isn't anything else you really need to do after that, to get it working. 

And despite the price tag, I'd recommend Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials as WHS2011 exited mainstream support earlier this week (the 12th), so no new OS support, and no WHS related fixes anymore. Just security updates (until 2020). 

Thanks for the info!  i put WHS2011 back on since i know it.  Figured i could keep it like this for now and upgrade when i am not scrambling to rebuild (and properly plan).

Really glad to know it will see it in 2012 R2.

Great product once again..once i reinstalled drive pool my drives came back up in 2011!!

If StableBit DrivePool is installed and the drives are connected, it should have recreated the pool already.

From there, yes, you can run the WSS Troubleshooter to re-share the folder:

http://dl.covecube.com/WssTroubleshoot/Release/download/Wss.Troubleshoot_2.0.0.1.exe

when i run that on 2012 r2 essentials it only has restore shares. Doesnt have the fix permisisons or anything like that from previous one. 

And when i did the restore shares..they showed up in my shares..but never showed up inside the dashboard. Do i gotta recreate them their?

how can i blanket fix permissions?

If they don't show up in the dashboard, try rebooting the system. The Windows Server Essentials services may need to be restarted to see it properly.

Otherwise, try moving/creating the shares in the dashboard, for the locations you want.  If that has issues, let me know. 

As for resetting the permissions, once the share shows up in the dashboard, setting the permissions there should reapply to the pooled locations.  

Otherwise, you can try this version:

http://dl.covecube.com/WssTroubleshoot/Release/download/Wss.Troubleshoot_1.0.0.165.exe