How do I move all data away from a drive ?

GiuseppeChillemi

Question

I need to remove some drive from the pool and move data to another PC.

The files should be all moved to the remaining drives until I can remove the empty one.

Another option would be to directly move directories to the other PC without loosing the correct hyerachy.

Which is the correct way to do this ?

Regards,

Giuseppe Chillemi

5 answers to this question

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to get at here.

If you want to move one of the disks to another system, and just that disk and none of it's contents, then you should be able to remove the disk from the pool. 

If you just want to empty out the disk without removing it from the pool, you can use the "Drive Usage Limiter" balance. Just uncheck the "duplicated" and "unduplicated" options for the disk, and the pool will attempt to rebalance the data off of the drive. 

If you want to move the data to another disk, you can just move all of the disks, and the license to the new system. It will pick up the pooled disks on the new system and you should be "good to go" at that point. 

Ah, okay. 

Specifically, all pooled content is stored in hidden "PoolPart" folders on the pooled disks, using the exact same folder layout that the pool itself uses.  The Pool driver just combines the lists and content, essentially. 

Both the the disk removal code and the entire balancing system just moves the content from one disk to another, in the same relative location (under the PoolPart folder).