Can I used the same SSD for DrivePool and CloudPool cache?

diskJockey

Question

When I set up DrivePool, I included all drives except C: in the pool. Setting up CloudPool, I'm only given the option to select drives not used in pool as a cache. The problem is, C: is a very small drive. How can I use the same large SSD for a cache in both DrivePool and CloudPool? Normally I would partition the SSD into two sections, and use one as a cache for each service. But if I remember correctly, it is not recommended to use partitions for the DrivePool cache.

What would be the best way to share the SSD?

5 answers to this question

The drives should appear regardless if they're in a pool or not.

The only requirement is that they be mounted to a folder or drive letter. If they're not mounted to either, then no, it won't show up. 

I've confirmed on several systems. 

B5sS3q2.png

If it's not displaying the drives, open up Disk management, and make sure that the drive you're trying to use has a letter or folder mount. 

If it does, would you mind opening a ticket at https://stablebit.com/Contact

What version of StableBit CloudDrive are you using specifically?

Also, try mounting the drive to a folder path, as that should allow you to see the drive in the list for cache drives. 

And you shouldn't need to partition the drive (there shouldn't be an issue with that, but it's simpler not). 

And just keep in mind that the cache will show up as "Other" in StableBit DrivePool

What version of StableBit CloudDrive are you using specifically?

Also, try mounting the drive to a folder path, as that should allow you to see the drive in the list for cache drives. 

And you shouldn't need to partition the drive (there shouldn't be an issue with that, but it's simpler not). 

And just keep in mind that the cache will show up as "Other" in StableBit DrivePool

CloudDrive 1.0.0.463 Beta, which was the standard available download as of my OP.

When I go to Create New Cloud Drive > Advanced Settings > Local cache drive, only the drives not part of any DrivePool appear. In my case, only C:\

Since the SSD is part of the DrivePool (as a cache), it does not appear as an option for a CloudDrive cache.

Is it possible to share same SSD as a cache for both CloudDrive and DrivePool?

The only requirement is that they be mounted to a folder or drive letter. If they're not mounted to either, then no, it won't show up. 

Ok that provided some clarity. I hid the SSD after adding it to the DrivePool by removing the drive letter. That is why it didn't show up later as available for the CloudPool. Once I reassigned it a drive letter, it was again visible to be added.

That would do it. 

I would recommend mounting the drive letters to a folder path. That way, they're hidden for the most part, but still accessible, especially in cases like this.

You can find a guide on how to do this, as well as guidelines for how to structure things here:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624