Failed measuring since version 672

fdt

Question

Hi,

I have an issue since version 672 up to 675 that I've just tested.

When measuring the pool I have a feedback message stating that DP failed to measure the pool on a given file. If I remove this file from the pool, it will fail on another file.

I have done a checkdisk on all disks from the pool: no error.

If I reinstall version 670, no issue measuring the pool, accessing the files, etc...

V672-675:

C:\Windows\system32>dpcmd check-pool-fileparts E:\Software\ 4

dpcmd - StableBit DrivePool command line interface

Version 2.2.0.675

Detail level: File Parts

Listing types:

+ Directory
  - File
  -> File part
  * Inconsistent duplication
  ! Error

Listing format:

[{0}/{1} IM] {2}
    {0} - The number of file parts that were found for this file / directory.
    {1} - The expected duplication count for this file / directory.
    I   - This directory is inheriting its duplication count from its parent.
    M   - At least one sub-directory may have a different duplication count.
    {2} - The name and size of this file / directory.

Scanning...

+ [5x/1x IM] E:\Software\
  -> \Device\HarddiskVolume22\PoolPart.dc497ef0-c8b9-4a56-b999-395c945d4d30\Software [Device 2]
  -> \Device\HarddiskVolume13\PoolPart.7c21268f-18b8-484e-b866-f654ac46565d\Software [Device 12]
  -> \Device\HarddiskVolume30\PoolPart.8b333231-3065-40f1-8289-5f0fc373c8f4\Software [Device 15]
  -> \Device\HarddiskVolume33\PoolPart.06d0e8d6-74e8-4652-b5fa-ebfc43d5c822\Software [Device 17]
  -> \Device\HarddiskVolume36\PoolPart.9d9a0845-27b8-4211-9fc0-f66d61688e76\Software [Device 19]
    - [1x/1x] E:\Software\aaaaaa.exe (1,03 MB - 1 084 888 
      -> \Device\HarddiskVolume13\PoolPart.7c21268f-18b8-484e-b866-f654ac46565d\Software\aaaaaa.exe [Device 12]
! Error: Can't get duplication information for '\\?\E:\Software\xxxx.txt'. The system cannot find the path specified
! Error: Can't get duplication information for '\\?\E:\Software\yyyy.txt'. The system cannot find the path specified

! Error: Can't get duplication information for '\\?\E:\Software\folder1'. The system cannot find the path specified
! Error: Can't get duplication information for '\\?\E:\Software\folder2'. The system cannot find the path specified

Summary:
  Directories: (1)
  Files: (1) 1,03 MB (1 084 888 
  File parts: (1) 1,03 MB (1 084 888 

* Inconsistent directories: 0
  * Inconsistent files: 0
  * Missing file parts: 0 0 B (0 

! Error reading directories: 7
  ! Error reading files: 7

Thx

17 answers to this question

This is most likely caused by a duplication bug that we are/were seeing where it would reset the status and unduplicate everything. I suspect that this is related to that, and that you may have been seeing the said issue. 

Regardless, you've said that you've ran disk check, did you specifically run "chkdsk x: /r" (or use the "attempt to recover damaged sectors" option)?

And could you enable file system logging and reproduce the issue? 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/26000

glad I did not (like I always do...  ) updated to latest beta blindly...  :D

Ironically, this issues is most likely only going to affect you if you have been experiencing issues with the pool spontaneously unduplicating data. 

The specific fix causing the issue is related to this:

* [D] [issue #20851] Very rarely, a pool part folder is reported to not exist, while a sub-folder under that folder does exist.

This causes duplication inheritance to get confused and to inherit the wrong value from the root. This issue

was reported on Windows 7 and WHS 2011. It could not be reproduced.

Hi,

When measuring the pool I have a feedback message stating that DP failed to measure the pool on a given file. If I remove this file from the pool, it will fail on another file.

If I reinstall version 670, no issue measuring the pool, accessing the files, etc...

If you're still having this issue on the newer builds, please let us know.

Ideally, we'd like to set up a remote support session to take a look at this directly as we've been unable to reproduce this issue. 

If you're still having this issue on the newer builds, please let us know.

Ideally, we'd like to set up a remote support session to take a look at this directly as we've been unable to reproduce this issue. 

Hi Christopher,

What "newer" builds? I have the issue with version 672 up to 675 - which is the lastest one I find on http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/.

I don't have the issue with 670 and running the dpcmd command line tool to check the duplication is ok with 670 and, once upgraded, ko with 672-675.

Thx.

The fix that may be causing this issue would be in 672 and up (it maybe in 671 as well, but I can't be sure).  Specifically, Alex posts the build that the big was fixed in, the feature added in, etc. Anything between that build and the previous listed are generally "test" builds and may not include the "corrected" code. 

To clarify, it looks like it's having issues with pool parts reporting to not exist, which would cause this issue. we've added some code to essentially error out in this case rather than unduplicating the pool. 

And Alex has confirmed that this is related to the issue. 

Additionally, this issue seems to be Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008R2 (including WHS2011) specific.   You haven't stated what OS you're using here, but I'm guessing it's one of these (if not, please do let us know). 

Additionally, we've not be able to reproduce this issue at all (either me on my VMs, or him on his), so fixing the problem is very difficult.  A remote support session would let us take a look at this issue "in the wild" and may help us to identify exactly what is causing it, and hopefully fix it. 

Hi Christopher,

My apologies but I didn't have time to investigate more this issue so I didn't give you a feedback.

I have resintalled my server using the latest build of Windows 10 (July 2016 - 1607). I am still facing the same issue with version 282 Beta and even if I recreate the pool - what I have done so far. Version 670 Beta is still working as expected.

Can we setup this debug session?

Thx

Chris, this sounds remarkably similar to the issue I had.

Which is what brought me here, as it has started reoccurring.

Given what fdt has said, I'm certain that it's related.  (see below)

Hi Christopher,

My apologies but I didn't have time to investigate more this issue so I didn't give you a feedback.

I have resintalled my server using the latest build of Windows 10 (July 2016 - 1607). I am still facing the same issue with version 282 Beta and even if I recreate the pool - what I have done so far. Version 670 Beta is still working as expected.

Can we setup this debug session?

Thx

If build 670 is working properly, then this is very much related to the duplication reset issue.  

Unfortunately, Alex nor myself were able to reproduce the issue. That means that it was a blind fix (meaning we fixed what we beleived to be the issue, but were unable to verify). 

If the newer versions exhibit this issue, it means that the fix is causing issues, because ... well, one or more disks are reporting not to exist, while the folder *does*. 

That said, this is a very weird issue, and something that we'll (Alex) will have to take a much deeper look at. 

@Alex: are you still available for a support session?

Sorry to hear that it's back. If we can catch it as it's happening I'm sure that we can get to the bottom of what's going on.

Yes, I'm available, but it's better to go through the scheduling system so that we can get our timezones synchronized and my availability schedule is in that system as well. I've PMed the scheduling link to you, so please set up an appointment at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,

Hi,

To clarify, it looks like this issue should specifically be fixed in 680 and up, as it was a bug introduced around 670.

If the issue continues on the latest builds (684 at the time of this post), then let me know. 

I have a remote session planned with Alex next monday.

WIth v682 installed by Alex during the last debug session  - of course the issue didn't show up :-)

C:\Windows\system32>dpcmd check-pool-fileparts e:\ 0

Version 2.2.0.682

Detail level: Summary

Listing types:

+ Directory
  - File
  -> File part
  ! Error

Listing format:

[{0}/{1} IM] {2}

Scanning...

! Error: Can't get duplication information for '\\?\e:\Software\ocker\fvvfvvunvvlock.zip'. The system cannot find the path specified
! Error: Can't get duplication information for '\\?\e:\Vvos Mvue\Hellfest 20v\Inquvition au vst_2016_06_17.mp4'. The system cannot find the path specified
! Error: Can't get duplication information for '\\?\e:\System Volume Information'. Access is denied

Summary:
  Directories: (11 933)
  Files: (142 794) 26,0 TB (28 543 281 929 449 
  File parts: (206 542) 50,3 TB (55 307 558 202 775 

* Inconsistent directories: 0
  * Inconsistent files: 0
  * Missing file parts: 0 0 B (0 

! Error reading directories: 24
  ! Error reading files: 23

I will try version 684.

I tried with v689. Same issue. I will update this post with the outcome of the dpcmd command line tool.

Update: less files this time, but still an issue + inconsistent directories and files. No change to the pool between v682 above and v689.

C:\Windows\system32>dpcmd check-pool-fileparts e:\ 0

Version 2.2.0.689

Detail level: Summary

Listing types:

+ Directory
  - File
  -> File part
  ! Error

Listing format:

[{0}/{1} IM] {2}

Scanning...

! Error: Can't get duplication information for '\\?\e:\Videos Musique\Hellfest 2016\Inquisition au Hellfest_2016_06_17.mp4'. The system cannot find the path specified
! Error: Can't get duplication information for '\\?\e:\System Volume Information'. Access is denied

Summary:
  Directories: (12 013)
  Files: (144 213) 26,2 TB (28 789 670 917 323 
  File parts: (207 886) 50,5 TB (55 557 417 197 863 

* Inconsistent directories: 1
  * Inconsistent files: 5
  * Missing file parts: 5 33,9 GB (36 389 706 108 

! Error reading directories: 1
  ! Error reading files: 1