New user who needs help understanding Drivepool

Tatts4Life

Question

So I'm trying out drivepool before I buy it and have a question. I created a pool with two drives One has close to 6TB's of data on it and the other is a fresh drive. What I want to do is have a pooled drive for all my movies, tv shows, music, and photos. The question is how do I get the data that is already on the one drive to show up on my pooled drive? Do I just drag and drop the folders into the pool? I'm not too concerned about where the files are stored as far as which of the two drives. I just want to be able to tell Kodi, iTunes, or Lightroom this drivepool drive is where all my data is.I hope this makes sense what I'm asking. I'm new to anything like this or using some kind of raid set up.

10 answers to this question

Thanks, That worked just fine. It seems to be the one step that's missing in a few things I read about setting up drive pool. They mention how it works when adding TO the pool but not what to do with files already on the drive that I want added to the pool.

I do have one other question, am I able to change the name of the created drive to something else other then Drive Pool just to satisfy my ocd? Can I change it to say something like Media and things still work the way they are setup now? Also one other question that I have after googling and finding an old thread on this forum, it has to do with drive letters and mount points. In the far future I'll probably have a bunch of drives holding all my stuff. If I read correctly mount points is a way to have a bunch of drives and not be limited to the number of drive letters available correct? If that's correct is there a way to change my existing drives to this format that already have drive letters? I figured I would do this now while I was just getting started. Again I have one empty drive and one that is almost full of 6TB's of data.

To "seed" the pool, just follow this guide: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

Which is effectively just moving the files into the hidden "PoolPart" folder and remeasuring the pool. 

If you're not 100% sure about doing this yourself, let us know and we can set up a remote support session to assist you here. 

And yes, you can change the volume label of the Pool (just like any other drive), and you can change the drive letter as well. 

Personally, I've named mine to "Storage" (S:\) and "Temp" (T:\), so I can definitely confirm that it isn't an issue. 

Also one other question that I have after googling and finding an old thread on this forum, it has to do with drive letters and mount points. In the far future I'll probably have a bunch of drives holding all my stuff. If I read correctly mount points is a way to have a bunch of drives and not be limited to the number of drive letters available correct? If that's correct is there a way to change my existing drives to this format that already have drive letters? I figured I would do this now while I was just getting started. Again I have one empty drive and one that is almost full of 6TB's of data.

StableBit DrivePool doesn't actually care what the disks use for the "Mount point". Eg the drive letter or folder mount path.  The software addresses the disk by it's volume ID, as this should never change. 

And yes, mounting the drives lets you get around Windows limitation of available drive letters, and to keep the drives accessible.  There really isn't a limit, but once you hit Z:\, windows just stops assigning drive letters, and this makes the additional drives much harder to access. 

And we have a guide on how to mount the drives here: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624

And again, StableBit DrivePool has absolutely no issue with this, and has no issue with changing the mount points. 

And yes, mounting the drives lets you get around Windows limitation of available drive letters, and to keep the drives accessible.  There really isn't a limit, but once you hit Z:\, windows just stops assigning drive letters, and this makes the additional drives much harder to access. 

Don't forget about the lonely "A" & "B". Poor little drive letters :)

Don't forget about the lonely "A" & "B". Poor little drive letters :)

lol, yup.

But I would highly recommend against using them for anything.  There is some hard coded behavior in Windows that frequently checks these letters, as it assumes they're floppy drives.  We've had people with issues using these letters (with keeping the drives constantly awake). 

Thanks Chris, I'm gonna try the steps in your link for mounting drives. I was nervous because I must of misread something and thought a drive needed to be empty or fresh to mount it.

The folder that you're mounting to has to be empty, that's probably what you're seeing.  

The disk doesn't, just the folder. 

Got most everything set up. It was a whole lot easier then I thought. I don't know what I was scared of. Now to just take care of my photos and music.

Glad to hear it!  And yeah, dead simple once you know how. :)

Drive Pool is awesome. I haven't tried duplicating for back ups yet because i don't have many drives yet. But it is great finally having one large drive for all my media.

One question I have two 6TB drives and one 2 TB drive. If I want to remove the 2TB drive and put in a 6TB drive do i just move the stuff in the hidden folder to the new drive and remove the 2 tb drive?

Well, you could be we recommend against messing with the underlying data.  Especially as we do provide the option to remove a disk from the pool and this moves all the data off of that disk and onto the other disks in the pool. 

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Disks%20List