SSD Optimizer placing files on archive disks, not the SSD

runewa

Question

I've created a cloud drive, included it to the pool, and used File Placement to make all files in a certain folder be stored on the cloud drive. I've installed and configured the SSD Optimizer plugin, but whenever I copy a file to this folder on the pool, the files are not stored on the SSD, but instead stored on one of my mechanical drives (not marked as SSD, of course). However, the files do get moved to my Cloud drive once the balancer runs.

Any pointers?

5 answers to this question

Okay. 

What OS are you using? 

What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using?

What version of SSD Optimizer balancer are you using? 

Are any of the other balancers enabled (if so, try disabling them, and see if that helps). 

And could you enable file system logging and reproduce? 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

I'm running Windows Server 2008R2 with version 2.1.1.561 of DrivePool and version 1.0.3.5 of the SSD Optimizer.

I disabled all other balancers, but that did not solve the problem. I'be uploaded the logs and named them 1896-ssd-optimizer-placing-files-on-archive-disks-not-the-ssd.rar. The filed I copied to the pool was actually placed on my P:\ -drive, not the D:\ -drive (which is marked as the SSD-drive). The file was indeed moved to the correct disk/folder once the balancing was run manually.

Okay, reviewing this (and sorry for the delay, I've been feeling under the weather, unfortunately). 

By default, the SSD Optimizer will cause the files to placed on the disk marked as an "SSD" and then later moved to an "Archive" drive (as per the balancing settings, in the "Settings" tab). 

Setting up the File Placement rules makes this more complicated, as it adds a layer of complexity here. Especially with how the files are handled. 

With the above listed option enabled/disabled, and the file placement rules configured... if the SSD drive is NOT listed in the allowed disks for the File Placement rule, the pool will/should place the file on one of the disks specified by the file placement rules only. It may be moved around afterwards, depending on the exact setup. 

However, that sounds like it's not the case here.  And if that is so, cold you list the files in question, the destination folder, the SSD Optimizer balancer settings and the file placement rule in question? 

If you want, head to https://stablebit.com/Contactand open a ticket there (I'll see that first and repsond much more rapidly to inquiries there).