Drive died - what should I expect after "removing"?

rtech73

Question

OK, so eventually this was going to happen - I have lots of drives, and one finally malfunctioned so bad that it froze up my system.

Removing the offending drive brought everything back to life, except now I of course have a "missing" drive.

Upon rebooting the machine, I "removed" the "missing" drive.

What should I expect the process to be?   Keep in ming this is a 25TB pool with 16 drives, so I know that this is probably a multi day process (the drive that died was a 1.5TB drive).

When I went to bed last night it said "measuring" which I expected.   Woke up this morning and the system is "balancing".   Would my files that were on the drive that went bad now be listed as "unduplicated" and the reduplicating is part of the rebalancing process?   

I've never actually had a drive go bad spontaneously without warning, so never seen what DrivePool goes through to compensate for a drive that is suddenly gone.

2 answers to this question

you had duplication it should make duplicates again in my experience during balancing.  I actually tried this a few months ago so i could be aware of the process.  with duplication it is simple just put the new drive in and let it rebalance.  if you don't have a new drive and not enough space to duplicate everything now there  is going to be some left unduplicated i imagine but other than that it works nicely

First, I am very sorry to hear about the drive failure, as that is never a pleasant experience. 

When removing the disk, since it's already been physically removed, it will be instantaneous. 

Once that is done, the software remeasures the pool, to ... well, verify the pool.  Once that's complete, it will run a duplication pass on the pool, reduplicating any files that need to be.  Then, if it needs to (such as one or more disks being very full will trigger it), it will rebalance the data. 

But just keep in mind, any unduplicated data on that failed drive is no longer in the pool, and is lost, until you can recover it from the disk in question, or from a backup.