SSD Optimizer problem

plebann

Question

Hi.

I'm using DrivePool with SSD Optimizer plugin (with option Fill ssd drives up to 90%).

I have dedicated partition on my ssd (small, 70GB), SSD Optimizer plugin configured and worked as expected till now.

Free space on SSD Partition - 22GB.

Trying to copy one file 43GB to DrivePool Pool (with have 2TB free space) and give error "Not enough free space".

I'm assuming that SSD Optimizer plugin is trying to put new file on my SSD disk, but this file is larger that free space on that disk but - there is still more than 10% free space on that disk and plugin is forcing to place new file on sdd partition.

I suppose i'm right because when i disabled SSD Optimizer plugin i was able to copy that file no problem.

Is this real issue or i need to improve my SSD Optimizer settings?

What I am seeing is that I copy files to the pool, and the SSD eventually fills to 95% as is set in the maximum use settings in the SSD Optimizer. The files never shed off onto hard disks. In the File Placement tab, should the SSD be removed from the File Placement options?

On 6/29/2020 at 7:27 PM, RobbieH said:

What I am seeing is that I copy files to the pool, and the SSD eventually fills to 95% as is set in the maximum use settings in the SSD Optimizer. The files never shed off onto hard disks. In the File Placement tab, should the SSD be removed from the File Placement options?

Make sure the SSDs are unticked in the "Archive" column in the optimizer settings?

Heya!

I am gonna steal this topic.. Hope it is ok.. issue is same(ish) :)

So.. After 20H2 W10 update + doing DP update.. from 2.2.something to 2.2.something to newest 2.3 beta + updating SSD Optimizer aswel, i havent gotten flushing to work..

I can get stuff to go into SSD cache but those files dosnt wanna move to archive drives.. i wanted to add couple different, non raid non duplicated, SSDs to system to bit load balance one SSD but i am missing some setting..

I have been trying tons of settings and been doing lots of reading and waiting and waiting that maybe it starts to balance and i can get this over with.. somehow i got it working long time ago but those settings got screwed and i cant remember what i did or didnt do..

Basicly if it is possible, i would like to use couple ssds to balance traffic a littlebit but i can survive with one aswel.

My settings atm are:

BalaOpti.thumb.png.ee7720935f72ad005d1ce8e9946cbb42.pngBalasettings.png.807e4b1e299e62e6f7cbb34ff00477ce.png

Balance ratio is at 100% and if file placement has cache ticked, stuff goes there.. if not.. dosnt go there eather way..

What am i doing wrong?

15 hours ago, RobbieH said:

I never found a solution. I'm starting to get a little concerned that this product is not supported any longer. 

I have no problems with the DrivePool SSD Optimizer. I have set my 228 GB SSD to cache 100 GB before it triggers a flush to the archive drives. I see this is a very old thread, and this topic was just discussed in a new post/thread. You might want to look at that. 

There are some helpful people on the DrivePool forums and you might get your answer here. If not, I'd suggest contacting Customer Support directly. DrivePool continues to be updated and I have always got a response from Customer Support when needed.

@WestSidaz I think you need to tick "File placement rules respect real-time file placement limits set by the balancing plug-ins" and (maybe) untick "Balancing plug-ins respect file placement rules"?

@RobbieH Rules set in the File Placement tab may override the SSD Optimizer if "Balancing plug-ins respect file placement rules" is ticked or "File placement rules respect real-time file placement limits set by the balancing plug-ins" is unticked. Also, if Automatic Balancing is not enabled, the SSD Optimizer will never be triggered to flush the drive(s) marked as SSD. Does that help?

Regarding developer support for DrivePool, I believe the forums are intended more to provide a place where the community can assist each other; in cases where that doesn't help you and you need direct developer support for an issue you should be following up by using the contact form. I've always found the latter gets a prompt response when I've run into a problem the forums couldn't fix.

EDIT: @gtaus is correct that this thread is an old one that has been marked solved (back in 2016!) and that really all the later questions should have been asked in their own new threads. What's done is done, though.

17 hours ago, WestSidaz said:

I am gonna steal this topic.. Hope it is ok.. issue is same(ish) :)

Welcome to the forum.

As to stealing this topic.... on the top of this thread it states that the issue was solved by @Christopher (Drashna) way back in 2016. Given that DrivePool has been updated many times since then, if you have a similar issue as this old thread, then it might be better to start a new thread with your concerns.

There was just another recent thread on the SSD Optimizer. You might also find that discussion helpful. 

When I was first setting up my SSD cache, I noticed that sometimes it would not flush properly until I rebooted the computer. After making changes to the SSD cache settings, it appeared to hang on the flushing. Through trial and error, I discovered everything with the SSD cache flushing to archive drives worked as expected after a reboot. I have not changed my SSD cache settings for some time now, and it flushes as expected without any problems.

If rebooting your computer after you change your SSD cache settings does not work for you, I'd suggest starting a new thread because this thread is already marked as solved. I think you would get more responses that way. Take care.

Help? I'm using DrivePool in Windows Server 2019 with the WSEE role added. Having used Mike Craven's WSEE utility to do that, everything works exactly like WSEE 2016, plus I get the underlying 2019 improvements. I built the server with new hardware (MS Gen10+ with max RAM) and OS, then installed DP and the data drives. DP found and rebuilt the pools as expected and it appears in the WSEE dashboard just as it did in WSEE 2016.

The server is just for home use, being the 4th in a series starting with the original WHS. It's used to store family data, backups (which I really don't use, having OneDrive) and secure remote access to apps using WSERemoteApps. I may add a VM to play with Linux but I haven't yet after contemplating it over 10 years.

After rearrangement drives and pools, I now have the following

C: OS, 232 GB SSD
  F: 120 GB SSD
The two drives above are pooled as "Cache", with file duplication. The smaller size of drive F: limits encroachment (I think?) on the larger OS drive C:.

D: 2 TB WD Red
  G: 2 TB partition on 3 TB WD Red
The two above are pooled as "Data". All files are duplicated. The pool is less than 1/2 full.

H: 1 TB partition on same 3 TB WD Red is not pooled and has no content at this time.

I have SSD Optimizer installed and would like to optimize it for speed. I don't care how much of the cache pool is utilized since (I believe) it won't use more than 120GB on the OS drive. If frequently used files stay there, that's fine, but I want them duplicated in the WD Red pool in a timely way. Because they're also duplicated on the SSD, It needn't be immediate.

Suggestions? What info do you need from me to offer guidance, if you're willing?

Thanks in advance.