Problem removing disk from pool

Matt Coppock

Question

Well, I searched the forum and didn't see my particular problem discussed.

I have DrivePool on WHS 2011.  One of my drives (1.5 TB) is giving SMART errors per StableBit Scanner, although it says the drive is not predicting imminent failure.  So, I've installed a new disk, added it to the pool, and am attempting to remove the "bad" drive through the "Remove from the pool" wizard.

However, the progress bar for removing the drive hasn't moved in the past 24 hours.  It just says "Checking for files in-use..." and hasn't budged.  I did check both checkboxes for skip unreadable files and skip duplicated files.

I checked the log file and it is filled page after page (15 MB and counting!) with the following:

DrivePool.Service.exe	Information	0	[FolderSizes] Updated folder sizes	2013-09-05 01:19:30Z	1209115543714
DrivePool.Service.exe	Information	0	[FolderSizes] Updating folder sizes...	2013-09-05 01:19:34Z	1209173332004
DrivePool.Service.exe	Information	0	[FolderSizes] Updated folder sizes	2013-09-05 01:19:43Z	1209296690008
DrivePool.Service.exe	Information	0	[FolderSizes] Updating folder sizes...	2013-09-05 01:19:54Z	1209457282153

Any ideas?  Can I just manually move the "PoolPart.xxxxx" folder from the old drive to the new drive and then remove the old drive?

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

Hmm, Would you mind posting those logs? Ideally, uploading them to a cloud solution, and post a link via http://stablebit.com/Contact

As for migrating the files yourself... Check the balancers. Use the "File Placement Limiter" and uncheck both boxes for the drive in question.  Also make sure it is set to immediately balance.

That or you *can* copy the contents of the folder (not the folder itself) to the contents of a different "PoolPart" folder on a different drive.