Public encryption key

KodeK

Question

Hi guys,

I just caught up with the changelist, and I noticed that "unencrypted" drives are now actually encrypted with a public static key. Are there plans to publish this key? Has it been published anywhere? I think it's important to have access to it for data recovery purposes.

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Hi guys,

I just caught up with the changelist, and I noticed that "unencrypted" drives are now actually encrypted with a public static key. Are there plans to publish this key? Has it been published anywhere? I think it's important to have access to it for data recovery purposes.

Thanks!

Expanding on that, do we have a data recovery procedure at all yet? Even if we know the key, that wouldn't help me stitch all those chunks back together and recover my files. 

I really like what Arq Backup does. They have an opensource program that is on github that does nothing but download & decrypt chunks, allowing you to download your files. Handy if the developer suddenly disappears, the app stops working years down the road if/when it is no longer supported or any number of scenarios. 

The data format is even fully documented. https://sreitshamer.github.io/arq_restore/

Hopefully Alex has something similar on the roadmap (think I may have seen it mentioned that he does). 

Hopefully Alex has something similar on the roadmap (think I may have seen it mentioned that he does). 

If he doesn't, he WILL.  (or we'll have a utility to do this, or something). 

Hi guys,

Thanks!

I'm not sure, I'll have to ask. 

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/25955