Unexpected balancing error with file placement

TwoEdge

Question

I came across an unexpected error today when i pinned a folder to 2 drives in my pool and started moving files to it.

post-2209-0-67850400-1457984916_thumb.jpg

First of all the files were placed on the wrong drive wich is fine as it is not strictly forbidden and all balancers as well as autobalancing are off.

After a balancing run however i got this message. Pretty much the whole rest of the pool has no file placement restrictions and there would be plenty of space to make room on the selected drives by moving data from them to other drives.

I'm on Windows 8.1

DrivePool version 2.2.0.663 BETA

No balancers

Do not balance automatically

Balancing plug-ins respect file placement rules

unless the drive is being emptied

Everything else is unticked.

Shouldnt drivepool make room on the drives in this case?

2 answers to this question

Shouldnt drivepool make room on the drives in this case?

With automatic balancing disabled?  No. The balancing system is how it makes space on the disk. And the File Placement rules feature is part of the Balancing engine. 

Otherwise, yes, it should, during the next duplication pass. 

That said, the UI may allow you to rebalance the data (at the bottom, there may be a up caret "^" next to the pool status bar) 

As mentioned, this situation presented itself AFTER manually starting a balancing run the way you described.

Tried it multiple times as well.

What i think should have happened in that situation is that the balancing removes files that are not pinned to these drives and move the files that ARE pinned there to these drives.