File System damaged - NO errors in chkdsk or windows chkdsk

Grunzi

Question

Hi,

I have a problem with StableBit Scanner - both 2.5.1.3062 and Beta 2.5.2.3103 BETA

I am continuously getting errors that the filesystem is damaged.

I tried (in escalated/admin mode)  chkdsk /f  chkdsk /f/r, tried the Windows tools

Followed instructions from http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1614-file-system-damaged/and http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Q3110004

Nothing helped.

If I run chkdsk (non-admin mode) or restart the machine (/f or /f/r) no errors are shown.

Affected drive is C:

The HD is not that old (around 1 year, 245 days up). No SMART errors in any way.

How to fix that ?

HD is a WD 4GB red 

Thanks for any hint !

BR

Oliver

23 answers to this question

Have you tried resetting the status in StableBit Scanner?

To do so, open the UI, double click on the drive in question, click on the ">" button next to "File system health" at the bottom, and click on the button with the green circle, and select "mark as unchecked" (or to that affect). 

If it continues to come up as "damaged", enable logging, and reset the status:

Click on the Settings button in the toolbar and select Scanner Settings. Enable the Show advanced settings and information option, and hit "OK". You will only need to do this once, from now on, it will always display this option.
Click on Settings, and select the new Advanced Settings and information option. This will open to the logging tab, by deafult. Find the "Chkdsk" option, click on it and select "Verbose".

Once you've done this, let it rescan the disk, and if continues to error out, grab the contents of "C:\ProgramData\StableBit Scanner", right click on the "Service" folder and select "Send To" > "Compressed Folder".

Then upload the compressed folder to us at https://stablebit.com/Contact

Done

Note that I checked the created file by myself:

It states that everything is fine (OK, partly in german :-)): 

Output: Das Dateisystem wurde berprft. Es wurden keine Probleme festgestellt. 2016-03-04 07:44:19Z 1984860455

Scanner.Service.exe Information 0 [Chkdsk] Scan ended. File system healthy. 2016-03-04 07:44:20Z 1986047424

Thanks for your help

...after upgrading from Win8.1pro to Win10pro today (did a clean install and installed SB-Scanner beta), I am hitting the same problem with my C-Drive (toshiba enterprise SSD).

The log-file reports problems, while a manually performed "chkdsk c: /scan" reports that everything is OK.

...uploading the service-zip file now.

The log-file reports problems, while a manually performed "chkdsk c: /scan" reports that everything is OK.

That is because the "/scan" command actually skips a number of checks. And yes, I've fallen victim to this myself. 

You need to omit the "/scan" command and just use /f (or /r, if you want a more thorough check).  In this case, it should detect that the "Volume Bitmap is incorrect" (or similar) and fix the issue. 

That is because the "/scan" command actually skips a number of checks. And yes, I've fallen victim to this myself. 

You need to omit the "/scan" command and just use /f (or /r, if you want a more thorough check).  In this case, it should detect that the "Volume Bitmap is incorrect" (or similar) and fix the issue. 

Thanks for the fast response.

Well, as this is my system volume, a chkdsk /f and /r is deferred upon the next restart.

I've done that already (with /f only) with no effect....will redo with /r and report back.

However, I don't ave access to the system console output of that early booting stage...I am running a server board with IPMI and an extra GPU card for desktop...IPMI GPU is deactived  hence... the system boots basically headless.

Edit: the deferred run of "chkdsk c: /f /r " seems to have fixed it...re-scanned the FS with scanner and it reports as being healthy now.

I hate to hijack an already existing thread, but I am having the same issue. However, even doing a chkdsk c: /f /r doesn't fix the issue. It did detect and fix some free space marked as allocated, but that was it. Running the chkdsk c: /f /r again finds nothing; the filesystem is fine.

However, my system may be slightly unique in that the system disk is actually a Windows software RAID 1 mirror. Stablebit Scanner shows "File System Damaged" for both of the disks in the mirror, and there seems to be no way to resolve it.

I hate to hijack an already existing thread, but I am having the same issue. However, even doing a chkdsk c: /f /r doesn't fix the issue. It did detect and fix some free space marked as allocated, but that was it. Running the chkdsk c: /f /r again finds nothing; the filesystem is fine.

However, my system may be slightly unique in that the system disk is actually a Windows software RAID 1 mirror. Stablebit Scanner shows "File System Damaged" for both of the disks in the mirror, and there seems to be no way to resolve it.

Once you've manually run the CHKDSK pass, try resetting the status in StableBit Scanner. 

To do so, double click on the disk in question (or click on the "+", on the left side of the disk).  Click on the arrow to the left of the "file system health" section.   Click on the button that appears, and select the "mark damaged as unchecked" option (paraphrasing). 

That should cause it to rescan the disks. 

If you continue to have issues (and no, the software RAID shouldn't matter, I think), let me know. 

And grab logs: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_for_Windows_Error_Reports

Once you've manually run the CHKDSK pass, try resetting the status in StableBit Scanner. 

To do so, double click on the disk in question (or click on the "+", on the left side of the disk).  Click on the arrow to the left of the "file system health" section.   Click on the button that appears, and select the "mark damaged as unchecked" option (paraphrasing). 

That should cause it to rescan the disks. 

If you continue to have issues (and no, the software RAID shouldn't matter, I think), let me know. 

And grab logs: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_for_Windows_Error_Reports

I've already tried that, and it ends up showing damaged again. I will try to send the logs tonight when I get out of work.

Okay, in that case: 

Click on the "Settings" button in the toolbar and select "Scanner Settings". Enable the "Show advanced settings and information" option, and hit "OK". You will only need to do this once, from now on, it will always display this option.
Click on "Settings", and select the new "Advanced Settings and information" option. This should open on the Logging tab.  Find the "Chkdsk" entry, click on it, and select the "Verbose" option. 

Then trigger the rescan.  Once that's done, upload the logs.  That should get a verbose output of the file system scan (CHKDSK), so we can take a look at what is going on.

Okay, in that case: 

Click on the "Settings" button in the toolbar and select "Scanner Settings". Enable the "Show advanced settings and information" option, and hit "OK". You will only need to do this once, from now on, it will always display this option.
Click on "Settings", and select the new "Advanced Settings and information" option. This should open on the Logging tab.  Find the "Chkdsk" entry, click on it, and select the "Verbose" option. 

Then trigger the rescan.  Once that's done, upload the logs.  That should get a verbose output of the file system scan (CHKDSK), so we can take a look at what is going on.

The forum only allows uploads up to 1.95MB in size, but the log is 20MB. How can I get that to you?

The forum only allows uploads up to 1.95MB in size, but the log is 20MB. How can I get that to you?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Submit_Files

Hi,

Same issue for me since I've upgraded from Windows 10 1511 to Windows 10 Pro 1607...

Reset health status doesn't work...

I believe that you posted a ticket about it. 

It actually looks like one or more of the drives does have an issue (MFT related)

I uploaded the log file to Dropbox. First name is Christopher.

Thanks!

Check for this disk:

\\?\Volume{75ec5bdf-d15d-11e2-9399-74d02b27c1b9}

You can run "Mountvol" to see which disk this is.  From the looks of the logs, this disk may actually have damage (corrupt indexes). 

This disk:

\\?\Volume{fd66c2d4-0cbb-11e2-8144-806e6f6e6963}

Run "chkdsk \\?\Volume{fd66c2d4-0cbb-11e2-8144-806e6f6e6963} /f", DO NOT USE "/scan".  This disk indicates that the volume bitmap is corrupt, and needs to be repaired.  The "/scan" option actually skips this check, so it reports the disk as healthy, when it is not actually. 

Check for this disk:

\\?\Volume{75ec5bdf-d15d-11e2-9399-74d02b27c1b9}

You can run "Mountvol" to see which disk this is.  From the looks of the logs, this disk may actually have damage (corrupt indexes). 

This disk:

\\?\Volume{fd66c2d4-0cbb-11e2-8144-806e6f6e6963}

Run "chkdsk \\?\Volume{fd66c2d4-0cbb-11e2-8144-806e6f6e6963} /f", DO NOT USE "/scan".  This disk indicates that the volume bitmap is corrupt, and needs to be repaired.  The "/scan" option actually skips this check, so it reports the disk as healthy, when it is not actually. 

Using mountvol, it simply shows it as  as C:\

When executing that chkdsk command, it shows that the volume is mounted and a system disk and offers to run it during the next system boot. However, it never does, nor does it show anything in event log, even an error.

Now, I notice two different long strings that you posted, one ending in c1b9, the other 6963. What is each referring to?

Thanks!

Any further ideas on my issue of why the chkdsk doesn't seem to be running on bootup?

Interestingly enough, it finally got around to scanning the other disk in the mirror and is actually showing healthy, which is a first. But it still shows damaged for the other one.

I went ahead and uploaded the most recent log with the other mirror disk showing healthy. Not sure if the comparison will help or not.

Any further ideas on my issue of why the chkdsk doesn't seem to be running on bootup?

Interestingly enough, it finally got around to scanning the other disk in the mirror and is actually showing healthy, which is a first. But it still shows damaged for the other one.

I went ahead and uploaded the most recent log with the other mirror disk showing healthy. Not sure if the comparison will help or not.

For not running during boot?  No idea. That's very odd though. 

However, if you have the System Recovery option in your boot menu ("shutdown -r -t 0 -o" on Windows 8 or up), it does have a command prompt option. From there, you can run CHKDSK manually. And since this image is ran from a memory disk, you should be able to scan the system disk (and other disks) without any issues. 

For not running during boot?  No idea. That's very odd though. 

However, if you have the System Recovery option in your boot menu ("shutdown -r -t 0 -o" on Windows 8 or up), it does have a command prompt option. From there, you can run CHKDSK manually. And since this image is ran from a memory disk, you should be able to scan the system disk (and other disks) without any issues. 

So, I thought I'd post an update since I finally managed to get it fixed, but it was a weird one.

First, running the chkdsk command with the volume name you gave in the system recovery did not work; it gave a volume could not be opened error.

After another couple of tries with chkdsk /f c:, I tried a simple chkdsk c: in Windows, and was finally able to see the error about the volume bitmap. The error only comes up in read only mode. I also discovered an error in Event Viewer from the volume shadow service that would occur anytime I did the chkdsk in read only mode. It basically said that the drive for shadow copies of c: was set to the e: drive, and that drive was not NTFS or an error occured while trying to detect it.. Drive e: is my drive created by Drivepool. I have no idea how it got set to that drive, but perhaps Windows made the decision to do that at some point prior to me using Drivepool due to more free space than I have on the c: drive?

At any rate, I set the volume shadow service to use the c: drive for shadow copies of drive c:. Apparently that's supposed to be the default anyway, so again, I have no idea how it got changed to e:.

Well, once that was done and I rebooted, chkdsk in read only mode no longer showed the volume bitmap error, and now Scanner finally shows the file system as healthy.

Long story short, weird Windows issue that shouldn't have happened, but did.

After another couple of tries with chkdsk /f c:, I tried a simple chkdsk c: in Windows, and was finally able to see the error about the volume bitmap. The error only comes up in read only mode. I also discovered an error in Event Viewer from the volume shadow service that would occur anytime I did the chkdsk in read only mode. It basically said that the drive for shadow copies of c: was set to the e: drive, and that drive was not NTFS or an error occured while trying to detect it.. Drive e: is my drive created by Drivepool. I have no idea how it got set to that drive, but perhaps Windows made the decision to do that at some point prior to me using Drivepool due to more free space than I have on the c: drive?

Ugh, sorry that I totally missed that.  But yeah, "that's a thing", and something that we've ran into before. 

It's even in the KB for stableBit Scanner.  Because yes, it can get changed (arbitrarily, no rhyme or reason as to why, apparently) 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Q3110004

You can run "vssadmin list shadowstorage" to see the config for every volume.