Best practice for migration

Quiks

Question

Hi,

I wanted to know what the best practice is for moving stablebit CloudDrive to a new OS.

I currently run it in Hyper-V on Windows Server 2012 R2.

Do I just detach the drive, install stablebit CloudDrive on the new VM, and then after connecting the account it'll show me that I can connect the drive? I have yet to detach a drive, so i'm kind of not clear on this process. Do I need to back anything up or migrate anything manually? Where will it ask for my encrpyption key (I used the full drive encryption)? 

4 answers to this question

Yup. Detach the drive, install StableBit CloudDrive on the new system, log in with your account, and the drive should appear. Then attach it, and it's on that system.  if the drive is encrypted, it will prompt for the passkey/passphrase at that point, to unlock the drive. 

If you are migrating the license, you will want to deactivate that after you dismount the drive. 

Thanks so much for the info.

For curiosity sake,

Since I can only have the drive attached to 1 CloudDrive installation at a time,

can I share this drive in Windows or SMB for other computers to have access to without any issues? I assume yes, but I want to make sure :).

For curiosity sake,

Since I can only have the drive attached to 1 CloudDrive installation at a time,

can I share this drive in Windows or SMB for other computers to have access to without any issues? I assume yes, but I want to make sure :).

Yes

For curiosity sake,

Absolutely. 

In fact, that's exactly how I'd recommend using it.  

Specifically, we only support connecting to it from one device at a time, so if you need to share it, something like windows shares (SMB) are the way to go.