Can't create share on pool in server 2012 r2

jnick

Question

Hi all,

I've been running DrivePool on my WHS2011 for years now. It's been fantastic! I've decided to upgrade the server. I bought new hardware and installed Windows Server 2012 R2 with all of the updates already applied. 

I configured Drive Pool 2.x and that seemed fine. I then created a share using the old-school method of opening the pool in explorer, creating a folder then sharing it via properties. However, I read I can also create a share using the server manager. However, everytime I try to create a share this way, I receive the following message:

"The folder can't be created on the computer. Folder: G:\Shares\test Computer: <servername> The network name cannot be found."

However, If I run the same wizard on one of the physical drives, it works perfectly fine. Anytime I run the wizard against the pool, it fails. Any idea why?

[EDIT] It's also worth noting that my pool is 5.5TB. However, in Disk Management, it's only showing up as 2047.97GB on the graphical view. At the top, on the list view, it shows 5.5TB The Drives are initialized GPT and formatted NTFS.

[EDIT2] I believe I sorted this out. I needed the file and Sharing Resource Tools installed. Now it appears to be working.

Thanks!

1 answer to this question