Help with permissions please

btb66

Question

I moved my pooled drives from a WHS 2011 set up to Windows 8. I just closed down WHS, moved the drives over to W8 where drivepool was already installed. Drivepool recognised the drives and after a while recreated the pool.

However, some of my shared folders under WHS had permissions set to only allow access from specified users, and I found Windows couldn't access the pool, nor 3 out of my 5 drives, they were assigned a drive letter, but no access.

I realised it was because of permissions, so I was able to change the ownership of the inaccessible drives, and the pool to 'System', and then add my new Windows 'Users' to the access group and can now see all drives and folders and files.

I then wanted to share those pooled folders, and also found again I had set permissions, because there were some folders that had 'special' permissions set, and with 'unknown' users. I think I've now removed all those users with special permission, and 'everyone' can access the shared folders.

I've never had to set permissions or security before, it was done seamlessly in WHS and specifying read only, or read/write, or no access was easy. I'd now like to try and recreate similar with my pooled shared folders under W8, but I'm struggling.

For example, if I have a pooled shared folder 'Work' on computer named 'DELL' and only want a single user to access it, who maybe logged on any of the networked PCs, and for everyone else to be 'denied access', how would I set that up? I know this isn't going to be high security, I just want to prevent other family members accidentally altering or deleting files I use for business. Can it done with W8?

It was so easy with WHS, now I'm a bit lost and any help would be appreciated.

6 answers to this question

Make sure the user has an account on all of the networked PCs with the same username and password as on the Windows 8 machine.

This article http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/share-files-folders explains how to share an item (e.g. your Work folder) in Windows 8.

Share the folder such that only that user has view and edit permissions; make sure nobody else's username is on the list.

Download the "WSS Troubleshooter" and run the "Reset NTFS Permissions on the pool" option. This will set it to a "stock" setting that should work 100%.

After that, you can set it up "normally".

WHS2011 does this by sharing the folders with "Everyone" having full control, and then assigning users different permissions on the shares (or completely removing the user account, and "authenticated users"  from the NTFS Security permissions on those folders).

@Shane: that won't work. Moving the drives from one system to the other, the user accounts use a different "SID" for the users, and the new system may not (probably don't, in fact) recognize those user accounts.

@Drashna: btb66 had two separate issues, the first about the difficulties he encountered with ownership/permissions problems due to moving the drives (which you have answered/explained), the second about an unresolved problem with sharing a folder across an unmanaged network for specific users (which I was answering/explaining).

Sorry, I think I skimmed a lot of the post (I apologize for that, but a nasty case of the stomach flu really does a number on you)

And for the shared parts, you're absolutely correct.  

Again, sorry.

Though, if the OS SKU (version) includes it, "lusrmgr.msc" is a good way to verify that the user account names are identical.

I'm not sure what you mean, Blake? If your trial has expired or you have not reactivated your license, the entire pool turns read-only until a license is activated - a completely separate issue to Windows folder and file permissions/ownership problems that can be caused by moving drives between computers.