Permission issues old pool drives

NightmareRambo77

Question

Hoping someone can help me with a odd issue. I had a pool previously on my hardware, it consisted of 3 drives, after a hardware fault i was forced to setup a new pool on server essentials and created a new pool after deregistering the old drivepool and registering the new one.

I have since createda  new pool on a fresh hard drive and then plugged in one of my 3 drives to transfer the data over , this all went well. However when i attempted to do the same on the last 2 disks whenever i try and access the drive on the operating sytem it says i dont' have access to the folder and that i need to go to the security tab to resolve it, so i attempted to take teh drive to another computer as a sata drive but its not coming up with the dta on the drive. My computer reports there is content on the drive but windows explorer isn't showing any folders.

So it feels like these 2 drives have some kind of a permission issue preventing me from accessing these old files from the old pool.

Is there any way of recovering the last data from these 2 drives manually somehow. The drives seem to infer there is data there but just not visible.

Any ideas?

desperately seeking help

nightmarerambo77

2 answers to this question

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Utilities

try the ntfs permissions

Reset NTFS Permissions on the Pool

Resets all NTFS permissions on the DrivePool pool. This will also empty the recycle bin on the pool if there is one.

Use this if DrivePool shows 'Access Denied' errors when maintaining the pool.

After the fix, open the Dashboard to 'Server Folders' and set permissions for each folder on the pool. You can do this by selecting a folder and clicking 'View the folder properties'.
Note: This sets the pool into a "clean" state, that mimics the permissions of a clean, new disk.
Note: After doing this, to ensure proper user access, please use the Dashboard to change the permissions on the shared folders

Specifically, grab this version of it:

http://dl.covecube.com/WssTroubleshoot/Release/download/Wss.Troubleshoot_1.0.0.165.exe

And yes, this issue is a NTFS permissions issue, and it is very normal when moving disks from one system to another. 

You can take ownership and change the permissions manually, but the linked tool does this for you.