Setup Same CloudDrive on multiple Computers?

Rdog

Question

Sorry if this question has already been asked, I looked through the forum first and saw one about a read only drive but I was wondering if it is possible to set up cloud drive on my computer and then set up cloud drive on say my parents computer at their house that connects to the same folders as mine so they can see what I've loaded such as videos and pictures. It's okay if they would be able to write to it, I would just tell them not to touch it. That way I could have a plex server set up on their computer that can access my videos from Amazon Cloud Drive rather than through my computer. Other than that, I love the idea of the encryption and implementation of clouddrive so far and hope Amazon pulls their heads out soon. 

11 answers to this question

the way I have it setup is I just share the drive through windows so other machines on my network can see & access it. seems to work fine

Yes it sounds like the OP wants to share to his parents which live further away. However this can easily be done by sharing the drive like you say, and then using a VPN service like Hamachi.

Yes it sounds like the OP wants to share to his parents which live further away. However this can easily be done by sharing the drive like you say, and then using a VPN service like Hamachi.

I think the Op doesn't want to use his upload speed to do this. 

If you upload the content to a CloudDrive, you can detach (unmount) it from the local system and then mount it on the other system. That works fine. But as for sharing it between two systems? Not really.

However, Plex does allow for multiple users (via plex accounts, IIRC). But it does consume your upstream bandwidth. 

NetDrive does have a solution that allows you to access from multiple systems, but it's not a full drive, and it's not encrypted (IIRC).

THe difference is that StableBit CloudDrive is using the provider as a raw disk backend, basically. Meaning it stores raw drive data. And it caches new content locally before uploading it.  Because of this, there isn't a good solution to "share" (read) the drive in multiple locations, as the content may not be uploaded yet. This would cause corruption, in any scenario. 

Maybe we could (later) add a "mount as read only" option, so that you can mount an unused disk as read only, and add a flag to it so it cannot be mounted as writable anywhere else. 

This would allow you to do what you want, but it render the drive as un-updatable. Meaning no new content. 

Wouldn't it be possible to "mark" data as "pending upload" and this make it invisible to "read" clients? would of course take some bytes on the chunk, but avoid "read" drives being able to cache content which is not uploaded yet.

Just the option of having a read only drive is great though, then you could just work on a new drive meanwhile.

Wouldn't it be possible to "mark" data as "pending upload" and this make it invisible to "read" clients? would of course take some bytes on the chunk, but avoid "read" drives being able to cache content which is not uploaded yet.

Just the option of having a read only drive is great though, then you could just work on a new drive meanwhile.

Yes and no.

The problem is, that a disk drive gets modified frequently. Even if you disable the "last access" info, any time that you write a file or folder, or modify a file, or ...  it changes the disk, and causes info to be uploaded.  This may be a couple of kb a minute, but it would essentially make sure the disk was always "pending upload". 

At best, a "mount as read only" option would be the best option here. But that would mean that nobody could write to it while it was mounted and it would have to be unmounted on all the systems, or we'd have to have a way to forcibly dismount it on the other systems if you wanted to write to it. 

It's something that we have thought about, and may (MAY) implement in the future. But not any time in the immediate future. Sorry.

Or you could do it so that if the main is writing, then the reads becomes unavailable until the write mount tells that it is complete :-)

But yea I know it's a huge task, but nice to know that you are thinking about it

The problem with that, is that while the reads are unavailable, that means that you cannot update the file system information, or download contents. That means timeouts and delays. Like when you have a failing disk that takes forever to read data? Yeah, the same would happen. 

And that's the core of the problem. 

A better way to "sample" this, is use a utility to forcibly spin down the disk, and then try accessing it. That's EXACTLY what would happen here. 

The best solution for sharing the content is by using a service/server that access the CloudDrive and shares it from there. that would eliminate most of the issues, but offload the bandwidth onto you.

I am currently sharing video content through Plex to multiple remote users by just having my Plex server index the content that is stored in my CloudDrive hosted on Google Drive. I have gigabit fiber with no caps though and unlimited space on my Google Drive, so It's easier for me to host Plex for remote access that way. I found that I need to jack up to prefetch settings quite a bit to get acceptable performance. (Trigger:1, Forward: 40, Window: 3600), but after making that change I have no problem streaming from my CloudDrive. I have the bandwidth to support that though.

If you are bandwidth constrained, then you can try using Plex Cloud Sync (needs Plex Pass). Then you can store your content in your CloudDrive, and then sync it to Cloud Sync (this means two copies of all your content in the cloud). When your remote user streams from Cloud Sync, they are streaming directly from your cloud provider (Google Drive, ACD) bypassing your Plex server and it's limited bandwidth entirely. You still need to use your upload bandwidth to sync the content up to Cloud Sync and your CloudDrive initially, but once it's there, it's there and all streams will come from the cloud.

Some people also use SeedBoxes (a 3rd-party hosted VPS) to host Plex along with their torrents, but you would need a Windows-based host to make that work with CloudDrive. Check out r/seedboxes on Reddit for more info.