Random drive noise

T.Bone

Question

I just picked up 2 6tb drives to give me some wiggle room while I figure out my server build wants and needs. I noticed they are pretty quite but one makes a very very random ZZTT! noise for a second then is quite again. is this normal? I thought maybe it was wake up noise for the platter but I wasn't sure. Does anyone have these drives? is this something you noticed? If I need to return the drive I would like to know ASAP obviously. I turned on duplication just incase but I'm still a little short on drives to cover everything.

I did install drive sentinel as I didn't know what else to do....

I don't see anything stating good or bad. as I write this I just remembered you make a scanner also.

9 answers to this question

How exactly did it sound? 

Was it more of a revving up sound (eg, from the drives spinning up)? Or was it more electrical in nature? 

And what model of drive are you using, specifically?

And yup, StableBit Scanner. Gets a lot of the same information of HD Sentinel. And the surface scan sure wouldn't hurt. :)

ill switch to that, at least that way I know everything works together and shouldn't cause issues, plus Drivepools been awesome. As for the drive its a St6000DX000 Seagate 6tb. The sound best as I can explain in writing is like when you flip a light switch slow and its barely making electrical contact, right in the middle of being off or on. but its only for a sec then I don't hear it for a while. its been 4 days and I've only heard is 5 times maybe. granted I haven't been there all day.

Thanks. That should be the most telling. 

Oh, that reminds me... check here:

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

This is a list of hard drive sounds. If you match one (exactly), then that's a good place to "start". 

(also, the list is pretty awesome, though some of the sounds are "nails on chalkboards", especially if you owned any of the drives that have made these sounds).

So I tried to capture the noise but no luck. That being said the site you game me is awesome. I think I found out that its not the fans in my PS3 but the HDD that might be making noise bad Heads. As for the 6tb issue it sounds like the noise the in beginning of this:

http://datacent.com/datarecovery/hdd/seagate

(click on the sound for this one:

scratching, freezing, ticking and sometimes loud clicking: ) its the first noise I believe the scratching. weird to because it stopped making that noise and when it did make it, it only lasted like 3 sec. I ordered another drive to replace it with just incase. I'm not going to risk it they are too expensive. the 8tb Archival drives are the same price not sure if good enough investment.

Yeah, that site is very useful for identifying errant HDD sounds. :)

And if the drive is under warranty, see if you can RMA it.  Since that should be "free" (well, the cost of shipping in most cases, and less than $10 usually), it's worth doing if you're not 100% certain about the drive's health. 

As for the Seagate Archive drives: 

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1625-do-i-start-buying-8tb-archive-drives-or-not/

got data off drive then as I was trying format it I got a ton of CRC errors and windows no longer would initialize it. It also never gave a Drive letter so i couldn't do any fixes on internet. I got a new drive off amazon for 40 bucks cheaper. I am of the opinion now that the 6tb drives are a lot louder then the old 4tb drives. 

Well, I'mg glad to hear that you were able to get data off of the drive first!

And you can always assign a letter afterwards. 
But if the drive is still under warranty, definitely RMA it.  Even if you don't want to use it, you could sell the replacement on eBay or the like. 

And yeah, the drives probably are. More platters, more read/write heads.