Drivepool Beta constant disk activity

Arghhh

Question

I have new windows 10 install with drivepool and scanner and moved my licences from my old computer to new.  Set up two pools for storage and noticed something weird with scanner.  It was showing a 4KB activity on the performance column every 2 seconds or so.  This is causing the disks to keep pausing the scan due to activity and they are now never spinning down.  I did some searching around and didn't see anything posted anywhere about it so I did some troubleshooting.  Running Procmon shows the drivepool service writing to the drive and stopping the service stops the activity.

Should I downgrade to the stable version?  Is the drivepool service critical to the operation?  Is there an advanced setting somewhere?

6 answers to this question

If you're using the 2.2.0.651 or more recent beta, there was a change that is likely causing this.

You can manually disable this, if you want:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings

Set "BitLocker_PoolPartUnlockDetect" to "False", and reboot the system.

And yes, the StableBit DrivePool Service is absolutely critical. It performs the balancing and "after the fact" duplication passes. it's also what powers the UI and remote control functionality. 

is that still valid? meaning are the newer beta versions not allowing spin down? cos i didnt see anything in the ftp release notes (should be in there ;-))  . Also the advanced setting you posted looks encryption related, wouldnt it make more sense to only do these checks IF the drive is in fact using bitlocker?

is that still valid? meaning are the newer beta versions not allowing spin down? cos i didnt see anything in the ftp release notes (should be in there ;-))  . Also the advanced setting you posted looks encryption related, wouldnt it make more sense to only do these checks IF the drive is in fact using bitlocker?

Yes, this is still valid/relavant.

The issue is that the "BitLocker_PoolPartUnlockDetect" option enables periodic querying of the drives and of the encryption status. The API we use for this causes the system to access the disks in such a way that will cause them to "wake up".  Since this is a Windows API that we use, there isn't a lot we can do (at least not easily).

Disabling the feature should fix the issue with it waking the drives. 

And while it would be easy to just disable it, we've been meaning to look into this and see if we can query the info in such a way that doesn't wake the drives.