Basic question on HDD placement

GlenR

Question

I know this is probably a really basic question, and I think I know the answer, but just to confirm...

Does it matter if you rearrange the SATA ports a pool are plugged in to? For example, if you remove the drives and reinstall them, say to move to a new case, does each drive have to plug back in the same SATA port, or can they just plug in anywhere and DrivePool recognise where everything is?

I'm guessing that where the disks are plugged in doesn't matter, but I just want to confirm.

Thanks

5 answers to this question

hey hope this isnt wrong to ask here.. im loading my gaming pc and have 2 ssd and a 3TB wd red soon to be a 2nd 3TB and was debating creating a pool for the steam/origen game installs.. and my ? is can I use my 2nd ssd to boost gaming performance with the pool with the ssd optimizer plugin? and how should I go about setting this up? thank to everyone for any assistance...

hey hope this isnt wrong to ask here.. im loading my gaming pc and have 2 ssd and a 3TB wd red soon to be a 2nd 3TB and was debating creating a pool for the steam/origen game installs.. and my ? is can I use my 2nd ssd to boost gaming performance with the pool with the ssd optimizer plugin? and how should I go about setting this up? thank to everyone for any assistance...

Absolutely. :) 

However, The SSD Optimizer attempts to move data off of the SSDs during any balancing pass, so that may not be idea. 

However, you could use the File Placement rules here, to ensure the files end up on the SSD.