Internal and external storage question

Tweak3D

Question

I had a thought the other day and wanted to see how this would play out.

Say I have an HBA and a SAS expander. I have 8 bays in my server and I add 8 more externally. Say the external devices gets powered off for some reason. What happens? Will the internal try to rebuild its contents immediately? Will the data ont hose drives just become unaccessible until the power is restored?

Thanks,

Justin

1 answer to this question

If the drives go offline, they'll disappear from the system. 

When this happens, StableBit DrivePool will mark the specific disks as "Missing" and change the pool state (which causes it become "read only". You can still read content from the pool that resides on the drives that are still connected, but you won't be able to write to it at all.

And to clarify, you would only be able to access the content on the drives still powered on. Any content that is exclusively on the missing disks would not show up in the pool.

Once you resolve the issue (remove the missing disks, or reconnect them), it will correct the pool state and go back to normal. However, it may recheck the pool once this happens (if you remove missing disks, it definitely will). 

Additionally, because this is very relevant to the situation described, we do plan on adding a "duplication grouping" feature in the future. This is specifically because of StableBit CloudDrive, but would benefit you, as you could set one group as the internal drives and one as the external, so that if the external drives lost power, you'd still have a full copy of the entire pool online. 

There isn't an ETA on this, but because it definitely affects interoperability between products, it's basically "on the short list"