Amazon Cloud Drive Still Listed First on List of Cloud Providers, Please Remove

ben98923

Question

I get that the Amazon Cloud Drive situation isn't your fault, but you're still listing it prominently as the very first of the cloud providers on your page selling StableBit Cloud Drive, and that is the main reason I just bought your product.  I don't have any of the other cloud drive providers you list, so it sort of sucks to discover you have removed support for it.  Again, I know Amazon is making it difficult, I'm not angry, but you could at least stop advertising that you support it when you can't (for whatever reason).

4 answers to this question

To be completely fair. The product is still in BETA and is free (you only pay if you pre-order for the discount). They also technically support Amazon Cloud Drive and are using the official Amazon API and are working with Amazon very diligently to make it work, Amazon just needs to fix their crummy service for it to work properly. If I were you I'd be complaining to Amazon for not providing what was advertised vs complaining here. Just my .02

To be completely fair. The product is still in BETA and is free (you only pay if you pre-order for the discount). They also technically support Amazon Cloud Drive and are using the official Amazon API and are working with Amazon very diligently to make it work, Amazon just needs to fix their crummy service for it to work properly. If I were you I'd be complaining to Amazon for not providing what was advertised vs complaining here. Just my .02

All fair points.  I'm a bit of an idiot tonight:

• I didn't see that it was actually available under Experimental Providers in settings.  
  • I didn't realize the beta was free.  

As for Amazon fixing the crummy service, well, we all know that's pretty unlikely to happen.  Amazon has very intentionally crippled it to strongly discourage people using it as an unlimited cloud drive, removing even their own sync utility when it went to unlimited.  So, I can still dream that it'll be meaningfully unlimited, but having tried NetDrive2, WebDrive, and a few clients, I find no reason to hold out tremendous hope...  It's clearly a losing proposition for them if people actually use it routinely as a mapped drive.

Feel free to delete my above post/thread.  Might be helpful if there was a prominent warning of note or something about the Amazon Cloud Drive thing, but with my track record tonight maybe it's there and I missed it, too. ;)

The provider also only shows if you have "experimental providers" on.

They are working with Amazon currently to get it working, it just takes time as they have to wait weeks for a response from amazon each time. But it seems they are getting closer!

If you really need unlimited space atm. you should try to see if you could get a google drive for work through your employer :) It's only 8 euros a month and i'm getting maxed out on the speed with upload, with download hopefully being fixed soon!

Stablebit works a lot better than NetDrive2, ExpandDrive and the others! WAY better speeds and it's a lot more stable

We do plan on updating the site, for the official release (that and add Google Drive). So it was definitely on our "To-Do List".  However, I've flagged it for Alex. 

And no, it's not listed on the main site. And it's not exactly straightforward about the experimental providers. But as others have said, it is still in beta, and things are subject to change.  

As for "crummy", not particularly. it's the quality of the code they're using. There is no good automatically throttling code in place, the reliability isn't there (data base config issues, most likely), and that they auto-index all files uploaded.  If they fixed all three of these issues, it would be a very good service.