Adding drives with already duplicated data

defcon

Question

I'm a new user here, planning my server build and will be purchasing DrivePool + Scanner combo when my NAS is built. Most of my data is already duplicated which I manage manually using external hard disks.

e.g.

disk1 - \data

\docs

\movies_backup

disk2 - \data_backup

\pics_backup

\movies

disk3 - \pics

\docs_backup

I'd like to add these disks to DrivePool so that it already knows where the duplicated copy of the data is kept, and so doesn't have to duplicate it initially (since that'll be am expensive step). After that of course I'll let it manage the duplication part. I'm ok with changing the folder names if needed.

Is this possible?

Also is it possible to keep some of the duplicated data on external drives, and have the duplication run once the drive is connected? 

5 answers to this question

Yes, absolutely!

You'd want to remove the "_backup" part, but once you've done that, you'd want to "seed" the pool.  And you'll want to make sure that duplication is enabled for the pool (enable "Pool File Duplication" specifically). This will see the files in both locations, check them and then either "continue on" or flag for user intervention (in the case if mis-matched parts).

So you'd want it to look like this:
disk1 - \data
            \docs
            \movies

disk2 - \data
           \pics
           \movies

disk3 - \pics
           \docs

As for seeding, here is how:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

Any data underneath the PoolPart folders is considered pool. And any data in the same folder structure is considered duplicated. And when the software runs a duplication pass, it will look for the modified data, and then check the file hash, to make sure the parts match. If they don't, it will let you know and prompt you to resolve.

Just so I understand, DrivePool first matches the folder structure, and then computes hashes of each file to identify duplicated data, correct?

So I can have multiple drives with the same folder, e.g. \pics,  and when they are added to the pool, DP will  then ensure there are 2 copies of the data on different physical disks, and it doesn't matter how many disks the original  files were on.

e..g.

disk 1 - \pics\file1 - 1000

disk2 - \pics\file1-500

disk3 - \pics\file501-1000

When I add all 3 disks, then after hash is calculated, no files will need to be moved, since 2 copies exist on 2 disks.

Specifically, when it remeasures, it checks the folder structure. If it finds matching files, it checks the modified time. If these don't match, then it generates a hash and compares them. If it's the same, it updates the modified time. Otherwise, it prompts for user intervention.