2012R2 Server Randomly Rebooting (ErrorReport, VSS, Low Disk Space)

WHS7MC

Question

I just recently stood up a 2012 R2 server running both the latest trial version of DrivePool and Scanner.  This server is replacing a WHS v1 server I had running for over a decade.

Randomly my server is rebooting.  The potential oddities I'm seeing:

- Task bar notifications of "Low Disk Space" for many of my hard drives in the pool, which are close to full capacity.  NOTE: I have other hard drives that have plenty of space in the pool.

- DrivePool Performance section states "Balancing... (0.0%)"

- Event Viewer Application section Errors (5 different Errors - 3 with Scanner and 2 with VSS):

1)

Error report file saved to:

C:\ProgramData\StableBit DrivePool\Service\ErrorReports\ErrorReport_2016_01_24-06_18_32.8.saencryptedreport

Exception:

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Access is denied
   at #i5c.#Fpc.#rlc(String )
   at #m2c.#0yc.#tyc(Int32 , String , String , Boolean , Boolean )
   at #m2c.#0yc.#syc(PoolPartInfo , Boolean , Boolean )
   at #m2c.#0yc.#ryc(#WCc )
   at #m2c.#0yc.#ohc()
   at #X5c.#06c.#oMc.#N7c()
   at CoveUtil.ReportingAction.Run(Action TheDangerousAction, Func`2 ErrorReportExceptionFilter)

2)

C:\ProgramData\StableBit DrivePool\Service\ErrorReports\ErrorReport_2016_01_24-06_18_33.5.saencryptedreport

Exception:

CoveTroubleshooting.Reporter+ReporterLogException: {reporter_exception}
   at CoveTroubleshooting.Reporter.ThrowLogReportN(Exception TheException, Object[] TheParams)
   at CoveUtil.ErrorReporting..(Exception )

3)

C:\ProgramData\StableBit DrivePool\Service\ErrorReports\ErrorReport_2016_01_24-04_25_09.8.saencryptedreport

Exception:

System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
   at DrivePool.Integration.Info.PoolPartInfo.get_FreeSpace()
   at #m2c.#0yc.#rjc(#WCc )
   at #m2c.#0yc.#ohc()
   at #X5c.#06c.#oMc.#N7c()
   at CoveUtil.ReportingAction.Run(Action TheDangerousAction, Func`2 ErrorReportExceptionFilter)

4)
VssAdmin: Unable to create a shadow copy: The shadow copy provider had an error. Please see the system and application event logs for more information.
Command-line: 'C:\Windows\system32\vssadmin.exe Create Shadow /AutoRetry=15 /For=\\?\Volume{0338feda-b8ff-446b-8fa9-5a702e13c443}\'.

5)
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error DeviceIoControl(\\?\Volume{0338feda-b8ff-446b-8fa9-5a702e13c443} - 00000000000001F8,0x0053c008,00000045AE6D1510,0,00000045ADDEA340,4096,[0]).  hr = 0x80820001, The bootfile is too small to support persistent snapshots.

Operation:
   Processing EndPrepareSnapshots

Context:
   Execution Context: System Provider

Thanks in advance for the help.

1 answer to this question

If you're server is randomly rebooting, the first thing to check is the memory. Run a memory test, and make sure that your RAM is good (bad RAM can cause all sorts of weird issues):

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q537229

After that, do you have an SSD for the system drive?

As for the errors you're seeing:

1. It looks like something is being denied here. I'd suspect a disk error here, but it's hard to tell.
  2. Errore reports are usually generated in pairs. So this is fine. 
  3. Specifically, that's an issue with calculating free space.  Do you have a missing disk in the pool still? If so, that *could* be why. But if you could upload the error reports to a ticket:
    http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Error_Reports
  4. Chances are, this is for the pool drive. And if so, this is completely normal.  The Pool drive doesn't support VSS, so it will error out when a snapshot is created.
    However, you can run "mountvol" from a command prompt to see a list of all of the volumes and what disk letters are assigned to them.  This way, you can track down the disk. THis may be a good idea, to track down which disk this is happening for, if it's not the pool disk.
  5. Same as above, but this is the specific error for why the above is happening. 

Also, are you seeing disk, ntfs or controller related errors in the "System" log. If so, that may provide a better clue as to what is going on here.