Home Server Build Suggestions

T.Bone

Question

With the current issues going on with my EX-495 its pushing me more and more to new hardware. I have thought about either a Mac Pro, HP Gen 8, or a DIY rack mount build. My current set up is a Ex-495 with a Q9550s processor and a 5 bay san digital esata enclosure. These are the things I would like in my next machine ( give or take):

1) Equal or higher performance CPU
2) CPU Capable of multiple 1080p streams (including Audio) Needs to support x265 and 10bit 
3) File server of course
4) Hot swappable HDD (I know the Gen8 doesn't support this)
5) All Drives in same case
6) Small foot print if not rack mount (have home setup to garage where my rack is)
7) Should be #1 i don't want my power bill to go thru the roof. I would like to keep power usage at around the usage of the enclosure and EX-495. 

I currently use Serviio and Air Media HD to stream my media to iPhones and TV. The current processor doesn't do much stuttering if at all which is nice when watching a movie. Currently I'm having issue with remote access (can get sign in page after sign in it times out) on WS2012e R2 but I would like remote access. Help pointing me in the right direction or suggestions on what i should do is greatly appreciated. With tax time coming up i should have a little extra coin to make something decent if not nice.

Still using my MSS EX-495 been a while since i started this Thread. I havent moved forward to much in my quest to build my next server. I ended up picking up a 

i9 - 12900

Seasonic - PRIME TX-1000, 1000W 80+ Titanium PSU

I need to figure out the motherboard part. I wanted a W680 (ECC Support) Motherboard, but I'm not finding a ton of options. Im hoping to get this build done in next few months, this time.

I got the X13SAE-f Motherboard. I was holding out for the ASUS W680 boards to come out but got tired of waiting. a month after I purchased ASUS dropped their boards and a little cheaper then what I paid. Im happy with my system im happy it is finally up and running. I went a little over and got 128gb of ECC memory to just max it out. overkill for what I need but that is always what I wanted to do. What I need now is a HBA card for internal and external drives. I have an old sans digital id like to keep using for duplication of data. 

ok my question now it what LSI card to get. Is there a benefit to move all my drives to the HBA? i have a Supermicro AOM-SAS3-8i83 cable adapter. this will allow me to have external storage array. what i need to know is how do i get all my disks to show up independently? I mean since I'm using DrivePool I don't need raid. I was looking at the 9400 9500 an 9600 series cards but honestly, I'm lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.