Drivepool Remote Access

taflemer

Question

The Remote Access Feature in Drivepool (and Scanner, Clouddrive) is handy while I am going through the set up and initial use processes. I have three clients running Drivepool all on the same subnet. However, I have found that the wireless router, a Verizon model FiOS-G1100 is not liking Multicast.  That is, when all three are wired, I can see all Drivepool clients,  When one client is connected wireless, it cannot see the other two and the other two can only see the other wired client.  Windows 10 Explorer and Remote Desktop Connection function just fine. 

There are some posts that recommend making a change in RemoteControl.default.xml.  Since the problem is not really with the Stablebit products and I would need to change six or nine files, I would prefer to fix the router.

So, is there and easy fix for Multicast with the FiOS-G1100 router?

8 answers to this question

Well, the "Computer_name.fios-router.local" shouldn't make a difference really.  This is more of a display issue (though you can disable the dns suffixes in the IPv4 config).

Aside from that, yeah, it may be issues with the hardware.

As for he software, yeah, the service runs in the background, even when not logged in. All the UI does is connect to the service (even for remote control, as it's routed though the service, basically). 

To be blunt here:

This is something that you may need to talk to Verizon about (or whomever makes the router in question), as this is a hardware/firmware related issue on the router, and most likely the wireless stuff. 

We do allow you to change the multicast settings for the software:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings

But I don't think this will really help out here, as I believe that we are using the multicast API for .NET Framework. 

Aside from contacting Verizon, or installing your own wireless AP, the best solution for you is the RemoteControl.xml file. 
However, you could create a single copy, with all the systems in the network, and place this on each system. That should definitely fix the issue.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings#RemoteControl.xml

Christopher,

Thanks I am digging into the Verizon router, as I am finding posts about it dropping multicast/UDP.  So, one of my pieces of test equipment here is Drivepool.  I am depending on it for the multicast API in .NET Framework, since the results will also help with Scanner and Drive cloud.

Other than plugging the router in a few months ago, I only made the most basic of changes.  I dug in and found IPv6 turned on.  This has caused me some trouble in the past.  Turned that off.  Probably not the root cause.  Also found a host list.  I think the underlying OS for the router is Linux.  Two of the devices with Drivepool have fixed IPs and did not show up.  Added these to the list manually.  Will dig here some more.

We had Verizon FiOS installed a few months ago.  Gotta tell ya, that field service around this area has really kicked it up a few notches.  I was really impressed with communications during the install process.  However, I want to get a better handle on whats what before I go to them for help.  Would be pointless to hear my equipment or software is the problem.

Also, I had to pull my Gigabit switch to replace the case fan.  I put an older 3Com 3C16471 Superstack switch in place temporarily.  It is limited to 10/100Mb.  Wireshark is showing UDP traffic outbound, I think to Onedrive and internal traffic between the devices with Drivepool and a couple of desktops.  So, other than slowing traffic, the 3Com SW probably is OK, but I won't rule it out.

Yesterday I though I had made some progress when all three devices with Drivepool showed up after I used wired connections.  Today, one of them is gone again.  All I did was turn off one device that does not have Drivepool and turned on another that has Drivepool with the license removed.  I forgot to uninstall.  At least now I can see how to interface a device that is not running Stablebit products and access devices that do.  I think you mentioned this in a previous post.

In the end I may need to use the RemoteControl.xml file.  I would really like to get at the root cause or at least bang on it for a while.  Thanks for the help.  Tom

Well, in case it helps, restarting the service should regenerate the list of clients. That may help here.

But as for the multicast stuff, I'll ask Alex to see if there is anything we (he) can do to help troubleshoot the issue here. Aside from using the RemoteControl.xml file, that is.

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/24901

Alex has posted some technical details about how the remote control works.

You can view the initial post about it that goes into some detail:

http://blog.covecube.com/2013/02/stablebit-drivepool-2-0-beta-remote-control/

And the more technical stuff here:

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/24901

If you're familiar with Wireshark, you can take a look at what is going on. 

TL;DR: 

This is a hardware issue with you router/access point, most likely. There isn't much we can do here, aside from recommend that you use the peer list to manually specify peers. 

Christopher,

Thanks for the links.  This confirms that the issue I am dealing with is somewhere between what appears to be a functional network and before Drivepool.

FYI - I have replaced the dead fan in my gigabit switch and it is now back in service.  Other than faster speeds there is no change here.

After reading the info provided by Alex, I was not clear on access when Drivepool is running.  However, that was easy for me to clear up in my mind.  Running refers to the service and not the human interface.

Just to recap, both NAS machines are nearly identical.  The machine serial numbers are even sequential.  Software is Win 10, with Drivepool, Scanner, and Clouddrive.  One machine consistently shows up in WIndows Explorer, while the other is erratic.

Not sure what to make of this, but in Windows Explorer, the servers show up as Computer_Name.  In the Drivepool drop down, the local computer shows as Computer_Name and the remotes show as Computer_Name.fios-router.home.  So, it is looking like the router is causing me grief.  Will be working on next steps.  

Christopher,

You might say I have used Drivepool for an unintended purpose.  Seeing the suffix on the Drivepool remote access should have told me that the router is trying (not very well) to be the master.  I confirmed this by accident when I fired up an old HP Proliant running WHS v1.0.  With it up, Windows explorer shows all the clients. I forgot to check Drivepool to see if the suffixes are present when WHS v1.0 is running.  On my list.

I can use Wireshark to look some more and bang on this new router to see if I can raise it up the ladder.  The Verizon router is a little pricey for a home unit, otherwise, I would just give it the window test.  That is open the window and throw it out.  Hoping a big truck runs over it.

Thanks for all the help.  I can dig from here. Tom

BTW - Drivepool and scanner are working just fine.  Have not had time to work on Clouddrive.  On my list.

Well, I use a domain, instead of a workgroup, so all of my computers show up as "COMPUTER_NAME.LANDSRAAD.local" (landraad.local being the domain).  So, this depends on the DNS server and/or master browser.  So your router is definitely acting as a DNS server.

As for the router stuff, if it's not a combo modem/router, you could replace it (something like pfsense or sophos UTM may be a good idea).