Hyper-V SMART suggestion

servonix

Question

I have a feature suggestion regarding Hyper-V and smart data. It is well known that Hyper-V emulates the disk controller and cannot pass along the smart data, and the workaround being to have 2 copies of scanner, 1 on the VM host and the other in the VM itself. With the remote control feature it is possible to monitor both instances. I was wondering if it is technically possible to implement deeper integration from multiple copies in what would effectively be a "VM host mode" that would allow you to associate the passed through drives from the host to the corresponding drive from within the VM so that the SMART data can effectively be passed through to the VM and enable the drive evacuation feature on drivepool. I hope the description of my concept is clear enough, and would like to hear feedback from either Alex or Drashna on whether this is possible or would be considered for a future release. Thanks again for these amazing products!!!

1 answer to this question