Use drive pool to present drives to Databases

mentalinc

Question

Hey

I'm considering using Drivepool to present a large pool to databases (SQL Server & Oracle) are there any issues with this?

Is this supported in a production environment?

The databases are used for data analysis not running a system, so mainly just queries and a a few transformation queries after the data is initially loaded.

thanks

3 answers to this question

Well, this depends on the size of the database (and the file sizes it uses) and the size of the disks in question.

However, there really shouldn't be an issue with doing so. 

We haven't specifically tested SQL Server, but we have tested MySQL server and sqlite and it works fine on the pool. 

And this is a place where the "file placement rules" feature may be a good idea to "lock' the database files onto the faster disks in your pool. 

Just be aware that drive pool, AFAIK, will not allow you to have a database file that is larger than the largest individual HDD in the Pool. It has to be stored on one individual HDD and will not be spread over HDDs. Unless, of course, SQL Server allows you to spread data over multiple files (which I think it does).

Just be aware that drive pool, AFAIK, will not allow you to have a database file that is larger than the largest individual HDD in the Pool. It has to be stored on one individual HDD and will not be spread over HDDs. Unless, of course, SQL Server allows you to spread data over multiple files (which I think it does).

Sorry if I didn't make this clear, but yes, this.  

But this also depends on the database program, if it stores the database as a single, massive file, or small parts.  If it's using small file parts, that's ideal, as it allows the parts to be spread over the system, which will reduce the IO load on any one disk. 

But if you don't have enough free space on a single disk in the pool, it can/will cause issues, as the software stores the actual files on the individual disks.