Upgrading my pool from 5x4TB to 3x6TB : what is the best way to move datas?

propergol

Question

Hi,

my pool is made of 5x4TB + 3x240GB SSD cache.

I have had a very good deal on 6TB RED drives, so I will move my data to 3x6TB, maybe 4x6TB.

My data are x2 or x3 duplicated on the current pool.

What would be the best, most secured approach to move data? If needed, all disks : 3SSD+ 4x5TB +4x6TB can be pluged at the same time on my SAS expander.

I guess the first thing would be use Scanner on all new HDDs.

Then can I simply "Add" to the pool one 6TB then "Remove" one 4TB? and so on?

Thanks

6 answers to this question

Well, is there a compelling reason to stop using the 4TB drives? 

And yeah, you can add the new drives to the pool, and remove the old disks.

You can add all of the disks at once, and then use the "Drive Usage Limiter" and uncheck the "Duplicated" and "Unduplicated" options for the old disk. This will balance the files off of the old disks, and onto the new ones, and then you can remove the emptied disks.

Well, is there a compelling reason to stop using the 4TB drives?

Well, they are still under warranty for 16 month (3 years total on RED drives) and I prefer to sell them now, it would be easier and I would get more money of it  ;)

6 TB new one will come with a "fresh" 3 years warranty :) , kind of turn over, use slightly less power per TB, be a litle faster.

I am also thinking to get a backup of the pool or at least part of it on 2x8TB drives. I probably won't go with Archive one even if they are cheaper but NAS one and those still cost a lot...

The idea is that I don't want to go with 24 HDD, 24 SATA cables, massive enclosure, massive PSU, big UPS.... you see?

I am working at human scale, not Google's one  :D

Well, those are good reasons. :)

And I do understand wanting to keep it small. Power consumption goes up pretty rapidly, as well. 

And google scale? hahaha! Have you seen pictures of their datacenters? They post pictures. And they put even  the most avid data hoarder to shame. :) 

http://www.google.com/about/datacenters/gallery/#/tech

Issue with decommissioning drives is to where to mount the incoming drives during the exchange of data.  All 8 sata ports are full on my server.  I use external USB 3.0 docking station.  It can mount two 3.5" disks.  If you prefer, it can also duplicate drives but I think it is slower than OS copy.  

@Sekrit:

That is definitely understandable.

However, if the drive is readable normalling in the docking stations (eg, the USB chipset doesn't do anything weird, which it really shouldn't), then you can add the new drive to the docking station, remove the old drive, then physically move "swap" the drive location. StableBit DrivePool shouldn't have any issues with that.

@Sekrit:

That is definitely understandable.

However, if the drive is readable normalling in the docking stations (eg, the USB chipset doesn't do anything weird, which it really shouldn't), then you can add the new drive to the docking station, remove the old drive, then physically move "swap" the drive location. StableBit DrivePool shouldn't have any issues with that.

Correct, Drivepool didn't give me any problems by accepting the drives from the USB 3 docking station into the pool and recognizing them when you move them into the SATA port.  Just a suggestion if the SATA ports on the motherboard are full.