Continuously Downloading from Cloud

flylowlikerylo

Question

I reinstalled .441 on Saturday and created a cloud drive using Google Drive.  I added the cloud drive to my drive pool and used file placement and duplication rules to put a fourth copy of data that is stored locally on three separate drives on to the cloud drive.  Configured this way, about 60 GB of data uploaded to the cloud that night.  However, ever since the data was uploaded CloudDrive indicates that it is downloading from the cloud at a constant rate of about 6-15 Mbits/s using one thread.  It never stops and has been constant for the past 36 hours or so.  Beyond the issue of perpetual bandwidth use, this situation appears to be preventing my local drives that hold copies of the same data duplicated on the cloud drive from spinning down (confirmed via scanner).  The local drives just keep getting pulses of activity every few seconds.

My question is whether this is a (somewhat) temporary situation involving verification of the integrity of the data on the cloud drive and will stop once all of the data has been verified.  If not, what do I need to do to stop the continuous downloads so that my local drives can spin down?

3 answers to this question

Is anything accessing the drive? Such as an indexer or scanning program?

In fact, if you have StableBit Scanner installed, make sure you're using the beta build (2.5.2.3103+), as previous versions can and will scan the CloudDrive disks by default (which will cause this activity).

You can also run "resmon" to see what processes are accessing the drive in question. 

Unless something is accessing (reading or writing) the disk, it should settle down more or less right away. (if there are a lot of folders and files, it may take a while to download all the metadata from that). 

Is anything accessing the drive? Such as an indexer or scanning program?

In fact, if you have StableBit Scanner installed, make sure you're using the beta build (2.5.2.3103+), as previous versions can and will scan the CloudDrive disks by default (which will cause this activity).

You can also run "resmon" to see what processes are accessing the drive in question. 

Unless something is accessing (reading or writing) the disk, it should settle down more or less right away. (if there are a lot of folders and files, it may take a while to download all the metadata from that). 

I am using Scanner (2.5.1.3062), so that may be part of the problem. The cloud drive doesn't appear in the list of drives in Scanner, but am I to understand it scans it anyways? The network activity on cloud drive was constant for 48 hours - it just kept streaming a download thread at approx. 10 Mb/s and never allowed my local drives to spin down.  I had a previous build of Cloud Drive installed about a month and a half ago and didn't experience this issue. In any case I "destroyed" the drive this morning and am rebuilding it from scratch.  If I experience the same issue again I will update Scanner to the beta build.  Thanks.

NO, it shouldn't be scanning if the drive isn't listed. 

However, keep in mind that things like the System Restore feature may take snapshots of the drive, and that will create disk activity.

Also, when this did happen, did it show a lot of "to upload" data? 

But using "resmon" is a very good way to tell if something is actively using the drive. Open the "Disks" tab, for details.