Location is not available

Kevin

Question

Just ran into this issue, browsing folders on my DP and many are displaying

"Location is not available, <folder name> is not accessible, The device is not ready"

this and all the other folders are duplicated so this is somewhat concerning. Running a full remeasuring in DP UI, might correct something? Help!

Thanks,

Kevin

12 answers to this question

What OS are you using? and "Bitness"?

What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using?

Just verified it must be something to do with DP, added a drive letter to one of the disks that DP uses and browsed to the poolpart and the folders that were inaccessible I could open. Suggestions? 

It's possible that one disk is fine, but another is not. 

I would recommend running a disk check of all the disks in the system, just in case.

Additionally, could you enable file system logging, and reproduce the issue?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Morning,

What OS are you using? and "Bitness"? Windows Server 2012 R2 x64

What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using? 2.1.1.561

Also found this error when opening the balancing dialog. Ran a repair from the Windows Programs & Services but still came up. I'll enable file system logging and report back.

Any help with this? I removed a disk that was having issues and then checked all the folders and could access everything. Now its been a few hours and getting errors again and can't access data. This is becoming an issue...

HELP!!

Running chkdsk one disk is going to take forever but I did start the process. Unfortunately now I don't have access to the entire pool drive. I understand it should be in read only until the disk is re added but I can't open the drive at all now. Pulling my hair out! 

Did I mention I'm working on this with a 7 week old baby in my arms, wife is out tonight heh.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you here. 

For anything urgent, please do use https://stablebit.com/Contactfor the issue.

That said, I'm not seeing anything in the service logs that jumps out, other than some balancing issues. 

However, if you're using Server 2012R2, you really should be using the "/scan" option when using CHKDSK. This scans the disk online and can fix most issues.  Then you use the "/spotfix" option to take the disk offline, but that should be very quick, IIRC).

(this is literally one of the best improvements to Windows 8 and Server 2012/R2). 

Additionally, do you have any antivirus, backup or disk tools installed on the system?

And could you post the results of this: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2159701

Also, have you tried the public beta build, to see if that helps?

Unfortunately, the logs don't provide a lot of information here.

It does mention the files on the pool that are having issues... but the specific error is "device is not read".

This can indicate hardware problem. 

If you are using one or more USB devices, this may be the cause.

Additionally, are you using a Silicon Images based controller? If so, these are known for stability issues, and *could* be causing this.

Aside from that, could you upload the event viewer logs form the system? Run "eventvwr.msc", open the "System" section under "Windows Logs" section. Right click on the "System" entry and select "Save as".  Either upload it using the contact form (link above), or use the  Box.com upload widget in the following link:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

I apologize for my delayed reply. After working on this issue I remembered that I had been looking at hard drive spin down for power savings and that I had changed the Windows setting to 10 minutes. For whatever reason I did not have any issues for several days after setting this. After having the issues described above I restored the setting to none and disabled HDD power savings in Windows. Since then I haven't had an issue. 

Thanks for your help. Maybe as a feature request DrivePool could operate with a disk that has been spun down like this or at least warn the user that his redundancy is inoperable in some way.

I apologize for my delayed reply. After working on this issue I remembered that I had been looking at hard drive spin down for power savings and that I had changed the Windows setting to 10 minutes. For whatever reason I did not have any issues for several days after setting this. After having the issues described above I restored the setting to none and disabled HDD power savings in Windows. Since then I haven't had an issue. 

Thanks for your help. Maybe as a feature request DrivePool could operate with a disk that has been spun down like this or at least warn the user that his redundancy is inoperable in some way.

If that's the case, it sounds like the drive wasn't spinning up properly, or taking waaay to long to spin back up.

As for DrivePool, well, we rely on the system information. So if that isn't being passed along properly, there isn't a lot we can really do.