SID Folder in DrivePool Recycle Bin - Howto Remove?

Beaker1024

Question

Chris - I'm hoping your experience with file servers will help me out.  I have found that the DrivePool "folder duplication" GUI settings with hidden files shown clearly shows a folder in the "Recycle Bin."

The folder's name is a SID that from a quick search means it's from the "Administrator" user account on WHS2011 (SID S-1-5-21-______ -500).

So it's likely from a time when I tried changing a folders security permission or something (date stamp is many months ago and size is a tiny 128B).

My question to you is how to delete it out?

When I Remote Desktop into WHS2011 and turn on seeing hidden folders/files in the OS I can navigate to all the hard drives Recycle bins and not find this at all.  I also checked and the WHS2011 main recycle bin on the desktop is empty already.

I don't think it's causing any issue or a sign of any issue at all just looking to clean it up. 

Can I use this commandline:  rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin    on all the drives (hidden DrivePool Parts bins?)  [Found command here: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-corrupted-recycle-bin-windows-7-vista/ ]

I found the SID information here: [ https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/243330(Well known security identifiers)

https://helgeklein.com/blog/2012/07/finding-removing-orphaned-sids-in-file-permissions-or-busting-the-ghosts-built-into-windows-7/?PageSpeed=noscript (Finding and Removing Orphaned SIDs....)]

NOTE: Since the DrivePool is on a WHS2011 for shares I never have anything goto the Recycle bin so I'm not sure how to work with the DrivePool Recycle Bin.

4 answers to this question

Thanks.  All set. I'll see about marking thread as answered/complete.

I went to each Drive letter (except C: for WHS2011 OS) and turned off Recylce bin in the GUI first (including the DrivePool letter)

Then I only had to simply run the:

rd /s /q G:\$Recycle.bin

where G: is my drivepool.

Recycle bin is gone and not coming back now for the hard drives and pool on the server!

Take ownership of the folder first.  You can use the "takeown" command to do this, or use the "Advanced" button in the security tab for hte folder properties. 

If you use the "takeown" command, you'd want to use "takeown /F foldername /A /R /D Y".  This gives the "Administrators" group ownership, and do so "recursively" (meaning all sub folders as well), and auto confirms all prompts.  Just change the "foldername" to the name of the folder (or to the entire "$RECYCLE.BIN" folder in the root of the pool).

if you use the command line, you'll want to reset the permissions as well. You can use icacls to do this. Run "icacls foldername /c /grant Everyone:F", and then you should be able to delete the folder. 

Awesome!  I'll try this tomorrow after two more question is answered.

So I do this and completely delete the $Recycle.bin folder on my DrivePool (G:\) so that deletes it on all the PoolParts too?  Does the DrivePool just magically regenerate a fresh Recycle BIn?  I guess I'm asking if it'll all go back to normal on it's own.

Thanks!