One of my duplicated folders changed to 1x

Meninx

Question

Had my heart skip a beat, last night I had about 3.5TB of my 12.7TB pool available.  I checked today an had 5.7TB available.  I opened DrivePool to discover that a folder I had duplicated had changed to 1x and only 1 sub folder was duplicated.  

The folder contains 2.5TB of data with over 115 subfolders and as I said there was simply one folder in there at 2x.  

I have re-enabled duplication on the root folder and it's doing its thing.  Scanner shows no problems and all drives are accounted for.  

I don't remember turning off duplication for the folder and I have no reason to...any thoughts?

5 answers to this question

You are not alone.  About the middle of Dec (2015) myself and at least one other user reported a very similar issue with duplication settings (per folder settings) changing on their own.

In my case I had mostly 2x, some 3x and one 1x for the settings I wanted.  DrivePool changed them all to 3x and I got messages regarding drives being full.  I was using the latest stable beta at the time.  Since then I've upgraded to the newest beta.

I hope that the cause of this issue can be tracked down.  Maybe put some protection in place to prevent changing of folder duplications without user confirmation??  (or similar tactic?)

What OS are you using, what version of StableBit DrivePool are you using specifically, and what other software (such as antivirus) do you have installed?

And do you have any disks that are having issues?

Also, when this happens, grab a memory dump of the service:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Service_Memory_Dump

After doing so, restart the service (run "services.msc", find the "StableBit DrivePool Service" and restart it). This should fix the issue. 

And for anyone curious:

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis?Id=20851

(basically, this REALLY shouldn't be happening at all, period)

Thanks for sharing the link to Alex's details.  From his post on repairs:

"If it finds an inconsistency, such as a duplication tag that's missing or incorrect, it will automatically repair all of the tags falling back to the highest duplication level detected in the case of a conflict."

From this I am assuming what happened in my case was a Recorded TV share was 1x but because I had a very tiny document share as 3x the TV share was set to 3x on a "repair."   This flooded my drives.  Prior to bumping folder duplication settings up the highest level could a math check on free space vs needed space (for new duplication levels) be calculated and cause the "increase" to hault (with user notification)?

I can understand the intent for which this was written this way but could it be possible to put in a request to Alex to modify how this repair is handled?  Can the current behavior be a option in a GUI or config file setting to do the "repair" behavior as default with the alternative option having the user receive an email alert, or something, to check and reset the folder duplication levels manually? 

Just seems dangerous to let the folder duplication change on it's own without the user knowing first or an intelligent free space check.

What OS are you using, what version of StableBit DrivePool are you using specifically, and what other software (such as antivirus) do you have installed?

And do you have any disks that are having issues?

Also, when this happens, grab a memory dump of the service:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Service_Memory_Dump

After doing so, restart the service (run "services.msc", find the "StableBit DrivePool Service" and restart it). This should fix the issue. 

And for anyone curious:

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis?Id=20851

(basically, this REALLY shouldn't be happening at all, period)

I am running version 2.1.1.561 on Win 8.1 Pro.  Windows Defender is enabled, no other real time AV/AS software is running.

Plex, Google Drive, Mega, Veeam Endpoint and TeamViewer is the only other software running.

All drives check out in Scanner, temps are good, no issues.  I created a mem dump off that process (I hadn't restarted the service yet) and uploaded

*edit: As I said, it was 1 folder with 115 subfolders at x2.  After it changed only one subfolder was at x2 and I had recently written to that subfolder (added a TV episode).  I had moved the data to that folder over the network

Thanks for sharing the link to Alex's details.  From his post on repairs:

"If it finds an inconsistency, such as a duplication tag that's missing or incorrect, it will automatically repair all of the tags falling back to the highest duplication level detected in the case of a conflict."

From this I am assuming what happened in my case was a Recorded TV share was 1x but because I had a very tiny document share as 3x the TV share was set to 3x on a "repair."   This flooded my drives.  Prior to bumping folder duplication settings up the highest level could a math check on free space vs needed space (for new duplication levels) be calculated and cause the "increase" to hault (with user notification)?

I can understand the intent for which this was written this way but could it be possible to put in a request to Alex to modify how this repair is handled?  Can the current behavior be a option in a GUI or config file setting to do the "repair" behavior as default with the alternative option having the user receive an email alert, or something, to check and reset the folder duplication levels manually? 

Just seems dangerous to let the folder duplication change on it's own without the user knowing first or an intelligent free space check.

Well, that's part of the issue here.  The tags should be in place and readable.  That it's not reading them from the disks is the main problem here. It should be reading them, but it's not. At least not properly. Restarting the service will trigger the repair, which is why this fixes the issue.  

But again, this shouldn't be happening at all. Period. 

However, when dealing with bugs.  "shouldn't happen at all" doesn't mean that we don't believe you. Quite the opposite. We follow up every issue like this, because we know that some bugs can be very system specific. And just because you can reproduce it, doesn't mean that we can.  Though, it makes identifying and fixing the issue significantly harder.

That said, I've mentioned it to Alex directly, and he is looking into it. (or will be very shortly), as this is a pretty big bug.

But better handling for the duplication may be a good idea regardless. I've flagged that for Alex.  And it may help prevent it from filling the disks, at least. 

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/22891

I am running version 2.1.1.561 on Win 8.1 Pro.  Windows Defender is enabled, no other real time AV/AS software is running.

Plex, Google Drive, Mega, Veeam Endpoint and TeamViewer is the only other software running.

All drives check out in Scanner, temps are good, no issues.  I created a mem dump off that process (I hadn't restarted the service yet) and uploaded

*edit: As I said, it was 1 folder with 115 subfolders at x2.  After it changed only one subfolder was at x2 and I had recently written to that subfolder (added a TV episode).  I had moved the data to that folder over the network

Okay, thank you for the info.  And it definitely confirms that it's most likely not related to any antivirus. So, it may be a bug in our code, specifically.