Keeping a record of what's on each disk?

agentwalker

Question

Just thought I'd throw this one out there.

I've got a number of disks on the pool for movies. These aren't duplicated.

If one of the drives suddenly died without warning is there any way I can check to see what files were actually on that drive.

Just worried that one day a drives going to die and I'm going to have a big job trying to find what files i've actually lost.

16 answers to this question

Hi I looked for something similar but couldn't find anything it has been asked about before I think it's another project waiting to start after the cloud drive thing is sorted so it may be a while yet.

They did update a beta with a command line interface dpcmd which is good and will do what we want however it puts out a hell of a lot of rubbish and it would probably take just as long to look through the log as it would to check all the drives.

Chris if you read this could the dpcmd be updated to list files this way and do 1 drive at a time at the moment it's all mixed up and and the location field is too long.

(Drive name)

\\folder name\file name

Int the newest beta builds, we include command line auditing tools, so you could set up a script to dump the information on a schedule (using Windows' Task Scheduler).

It requires 2.2.0.659 or higher, though.

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/

And details about the new commands here:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1587-check-pool-fileparts/

Specifically, the "4" detail level includes EVERYTHING, including the location of the files. 

On Windows Systems, how about good old fashioned tree command? "tree /f > list.txt" from the movie root should do it.

This will actually work, if you do it for each pooled disk, and make sure that you can enumerate the hidden "PoolPart" folder on the drive. 

But you'd need to do this for each and every drive.

The tree command would be fine if you have a few drives but when you get to 30+ drives with no drive letters it becomes a laborious task.

Maybe when Alex gets round to updating drivepool/scanner this option could be added to them I know it has been asked about a number of times before.

agentwalker - Can you share the code for the batch file (generic version of it)? 

Do you have it write to a text file on a share in your DrivePool?  Would that work or be an "access" conflict (and make you write output file to server drive then do a copy command and end of batch)?? 

Thanks!

The tree command would be fine if you have a few drives but when you get to 30+ drives with no drive letters it becomes a laborious task.

Maybe when Alex gets round to updating drivepool/scanner this option could be added to them I know it has been asked about a number of times before.

Do you mean like this: 

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1587-check-pool-fileparts/

dpcmd - StableBit DrivePool command line interface

Version 2.2.0.659

The command 'check-pool-fileparts' requires at least 1 parameters.

Usage:

dpcmd check-pool-fileparts [parameter1 [parameter2 ...]]

Command:

check-pool-fileparts - Checks the file parts stored on the pool for consistency.

Parameters:

poolPath - A path to a directory or a file on the pool.
  detailLevel - Detail level to output (0 to 4). (optional)
  isRecursive - Is this a recursive listing? (TRUE / false) (optional)

Detail levels:

0 - Summary
  1 - Also show directory duplication status
  2 - Also show inconsistent file duplication details, if any (default)
  3 - Also show all file duplication details
  4 - Also show all file part details

Examples:

- Perform a duplication check over the entire pool, show any inconsistencies, and inform StableBit DrivePool

>dpcmd check-pool-fileparts P:\

- Perform a full duplication check and output all file details to a log file

>dpcmd check-pool-fileparts P:\ 3 > Check-Pool-FileParts.log

- Perform a full duplication check and just show a summary

>dpcmd check-pool-fileparts P:\ 0

- Perform a check on a specific directory and its sub-directories

>dpcmd check-pool-fileparts P:\MyFolder

- Perform a check on a specific directory and NOT its sub-directories

>dpcmd check-pool-fileparts "P:\MyFolder\Specific Folder To Check" 2 false

- Perform a check on one specific file

>dpcmd check-pool-fileparts "P:\MyFolder\File To Check.exe"

I've attached what the output looks like (no, it's not as pretty as "TREE", but it's comprehensive, and has the option to scale down.

https://drashna.net/owncloud/index.php/s/xffN5fJnUnIRkr0

The sample is from a 2 disk system, used for recording IP cameras. There is no duplication for the system in question, though. 

Hi Chris

No not what I ment while the dpcmd command Is useful and least I/we now have a list of all the files stored on the pool it's the way it's all output like your own log it shows device 7,7,7,9,7,9,9,7 when you look at the output from a 30 plus drive system it's chaos my output log was huge if possible it needs to list the contents of 1 drive at a time and my own preference would be to lose all the folder locations also so I would have a simple output log.

Device 1

Star Trek .mkv

Dr who.mkv

Florida.jpeg

Device 2

Starwars.mkv

Game of thrones.mkv

And so on maybe add it to the list of requests lol

Thx

Yeah, it's a "bit" chaotic.  But in Alex's defense, it was pretty much wiped up overnight. :)

And I will mention improving the tool to him. But I think that's the plan, actually. And making it a lot more robust and ... well... yeah.

I just tried the tree command, and it seems that it doesn't lists hidden directories,

so you have to specify the full PoolPart directory name.

I have a small batch file that lists my mounted drives with the DIR /S /B command each day.

It works with hidden directories.

Per

Oh, and just for reference, you can unhide the PoolPart folders on the pooled disks.  There is no requirement for them to be hidden. We just hide them, so that the average user doesn't mess with them and delete their pooled data.

That may make the tree command much more useful, as you could call it on the main folder or disk letter, rather than on the specific PoolPart folder.

Virtual Volumes View (http://vvvapp.sourceforge.net/) is what i use to achieve this.

It's not perfect but if you have all drives mounted to a Pool-Folder like Chris does,

you can simply index that folder and the output might be a bit more navigatable than simple textfiles.

Virtual Volumes is REALLY GREAT... it also has the Update function, Search Function....

REALLY GREAT... the only disadvantage is that i have to run it regularly :)