Unduplicated files with Pool file duplication

Umfriend

Question

Hi,

So I had to rearrange storage a bit and currently it is like this:

2 x 2TB HDDs

1 x 4TB HDD, partitioned as 2 x 2TB volumes.

Pool file duplication x2 (no folder duplication)

DrivePool version 2.1.1.561, only the default balancers and all at default values.

OS is WHS 2011

Statistics show 17.8MB as Unduplicated. I do not understand why any data should not be duplicated.

I would have thought all would be duplicated and that I could be assured that any file would at least be stored on one of the two 2TB HDDs (as it should not duplicated on 2 x 2TBB volumes of the single 4 TB HDD only).

I have tried re-measuring.

Well, this is not about measuring anymore so much but about having both duplicates of files stored on the same physical HDD and I am just wondering if there is an older version of DP that does not have this issue.

Well, the measuring is part of the issue here.

But as for a version that may not have this issue... I can't really say.  Without knowing what exactly is causing the issue, it's very hard to know that. 

It is possible that the 2.1.1.561 version is not affected by this, but I couldn't even begin to say that for sure. 

On 11/25/2017 at 4:26 PM, narf003 said:

I wanted to check to see if this was ever resolved.  I will be encountering this configuration (two partitions on the same physical drive) and I want to make sure that DrivePool will not place duplicate files on the same physical drive.  

Officially, no. 

There is a pending issue to "deep dive" and/or add additional code to help detect this and fix it. But that hasn't happened quite yet. 

However, it may be worth noting that we were not able to reproduce this ourselves, so it may be a very rare issue/bug/circumstance that caused this in the first place.

12 hours ago, narf003 said:

@umfriend - Thanks!  I think that solution will work for my current situation as well.  Only downside I see is that it always requires physical drives that can be set up in equal pool sizes, otherwise losing duplication space.  

Only if everything  is duplicated.  If you have unduplicated data, then it should balance it out to prevent this.